Tech diving circa 1425

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No thank you. I won't be asking for one for my birthday!

I love seeing people try to overcome engineering challenges with ancient technology... medieval diving hadn't ever occurred to me as a possibility!

its really cool. I had heard that there were attempts at diving other than simple breathhold techniques but had never seen anything this "sophisticated".

I have seen episodes of Junkyard Wars that feature this kind of gear and air pump.

Yes, our species has been homesick for our ancestors' medium for a long time. One historian says that greek wall murals imply that divers tried taking down water-proof bags of air made of goat organs to breathe from. I wonder what kind of specialty patches they sewed to their togas?

Methinks some knave didst try to sell me that foul equipage on eBay!
(Just kidding)

I've actually been present at one of the "open" water tests! As a part of the one week marin archeological boat trip in Danish waters we visited the middelaldercenteret (medivial center). The head of development entered the water in that set up while one of the participants from our trip dove in as stand by diver.

I was also quite impressed - and scared.

He said that the suit - i.e. leather dress was floating in the water - that must have been a sight!. And you really better be on the very best terms with the three guys pumping the bellows.

By the way everthing is made with 1425 technology. That means that the hoses are leather sewed together and made air/water proff with tar!

At least you can repair you own gear.

What I want to know is what goat organ did they use? Did they learn to turn the udder cheek?

Ken

"he got your goat..."

Gives new meaning to the concept of bladder control...

Back to the initial post; If the king was diving would the pumpers all be referred to as Airs to the throne?

Are these jokes considered "Bellows Humor"

When the diver finally ascends do they all cheer in unison "Serf's up!"?

And finally (but I might return with more schlock...) this whole thing gives new meaning to the concept of a "Knight dive"...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom