need advice about a beanie

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

donnad

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
hi there, going to akumal, mexico (about an hour south of cancun)on october 20th. will be doing three daytime dives and one night dive on the same day, followed by a cenote dive the next morning. i'm guessing that the water temp. for the ocean dives will be a little bit cooler than it is say in august, but probably not much, but the cenote is significantly cooler than the ocean will be, right? i'm cold natured and will be wearing my henderson 3mil suit as usual for cozumel or other such warm locations. i'm considering getting a beanie for this trip, just to ensure that i stay nice and warm since we're doing several dives, then the cenote next a.m. i've seen online that there are some tropical beanies, some 1mil, some 3. what do you guys think?

Well, I would try it on because beanies make most people look ...well, it tends to have an unflattering fit. It gives middle-aged people double chins and guys with beards look really silly. I've never seen anyone look good in a beanie. I once saw a guy underwater with a huge cone head in his beanie and almost laughed my reg out. If you get one, you need to punch a hole in the top.

I like my Trilam hood for warmth without added bouyancy and it looks a lot better.

I would be more concerned about comfort than looks.

I use my beannie once in a while and it does help a lot. What I'd suggest is jumping to a hooded vest for repetetive dives for way less that $100 you'l be little warmer in the core and it will cut down water exchange at the neck opening and back zip. Oh yea it will keep your head warm too!

For repetetive dives a little over suiting is usualy a good thing.
http://www.hendersonusa.com/product_hyperstretch.html#

If that seems like too much Bare has a 1mm version:
http://www.bare-wetsuits.com/bareshop/diveproduct.asp?dept_id=28520&pf_id=61349

Pete

If you decide on a beanie I'd get the 3mm for more warmth. I'm a neoprene hater and even I find a 3mm beanie perfectly comfortable. Vests are also nice for layering when you think you'll need a bit extra.

I must say, I have an unhooded vest and sort of wish I'd gotten a hooded one instead - to prevent water scooping and for neck protection against stingy things in the water, which seem to love me.

redhatmama:
I've never seen anyone look good in a beanie.

I think you have a bad attitude toward beanies. I think beanies make you a better diver and I am super sexy in my beanie. See my avatar.... :D

As for what to wear, the group I was with in cozumel did the cenotes and I think a few wore 5 mil shorties. They did comment that it was a little cold. Mine is a 3mil and I pretty much wear it everwhere south of here. If its too warm, its easy to take off.

In Aruba last year, my wife started wearing her hooded vest with her 3 mil full suit after the first couple dives. She did so for the entire week and felt comfy.

donnad:
hi there, going to akumal, mexico (about an hour south of cancun)on october 20th. will be doing three daytime dives and one night dive on the same day, followed by a cenote dive the next morning. i'm guessing that the water temp. for the ocean dives will be a little bit cooler than it is say in august, but probably not much, but the cenote is significantly cooler than the ocean will be, right? i'm cold natured and will be wearing my henderson 3mil suit as usual for cozumel or other such warm locations. i'm considering getting a beanie for this trip, just to ensure that i stay nice and warm since we're doing several dives, then the cenote next a.m. i've seen online that there are some tropical beanies, some 1mil, some 3. what do you guys think?

Lots of Beenie alternatives here (and a damn funny thread!) I sure learned a lot from it.

For me, its all about the Elvis Beenie (beanie? Bini? Beenee?) someone posted a link to. NOW we're talking.

I want a warm water hood (beenie) that isn't completely lame, or too whimsical that I can't pull chicks.

OK - scratch that. I'm married. I don't want one so lame that Wifie turns my gas off.

You get the idea.

---
Ken

I don't know anything about beanies, but...

Your gonna get cold in that ceynote!

I think the hooded vest suggestion was right on. That at least will help some when you do your cavern tour. If you had a 5/3 and a hood...that would be even better. Of course, the cavern tours are relatively short...but you'll probably get two dives up to 40 mins or so. Brrr!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom