Welcome to ScubaBoard, an online scuba diving forum community where you can join over 205,000 divers diving from around the world. If the topic is related to scuba diving, this is the place to find divers talking about it. To gain full access to ScubaBoard (and make this large box go away) you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Participate in over 500 dive topic forums and browse from over 5,500,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
  • Post your own photos or view from well over 100,000 user submitted images.
  • Gain access to our free classifieds marketplace to buy, sell and trade gear, travel and services.
  • Use the calendar to organize your events and enroll in other members' events.
  • Find a dive buddy or communicate directly with scuba equipment manufacturers.

All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

NEW for 2014 Access SBlogbook for members. It allows you to directly upload data from your dive computer, validate your logs digitally, link your dives to photos, videos, dive centers (9,000 on file), fishes (14,000 on file) and much more.

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the ScubaBoard Support Team.

Thread: Jelly fish stings - do the marks go away?

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    50 - 99

Jelly fish stings - do the marks go away?

Hello,

I was diving in San Andres last week and on exiting the water after a night dive 4 of the 5 in our group were stung by jelly fish. Unfortunately I got stung worse than everyone else, on my foot and on various parts of my lower leg. I experienced the pain moving up through my body and compressing my chest and spent a very uncomfortable night with fever and the burning sensation in my leg.

After the sting I put vinegar on my leg and have been taking antihistamines and putting hydrocortisone cream on the sting area. 7 days have passed and I still have red marks on my leg and foot with little black points. The cream has reduced the inflamation and the stinging sensation has 95% gone.

Has anyone else been stung and how long did it take for the marks to go away? I don't know what kind of jelly fish it was, something medium sized, everyone on the island said they were not serious.

Are lycra rash guards and body skins thick enough on their own to protect you from jelly fish? I don't dive anywhere cold enough to really need a 3mm wetsuit but I'll get one if that's what it takes to stop stings.

Thanks,

Maria

Registered

Has not set a "status"

I was stung by a Portuguese man of war. The scars faded after a few months and were gone after 6-9 months.

It felt like getting cracked with a bull whip and burned for a few days. I'm not sure how affective the lycra is against jellies...

The scars were great for telling tales to my dive buddies when I got home

Barangay Pasaway

Dives
    200 - 499
    Photos
    My scars were gone in a couple of weeks. I was using panty hose when I got stung.

The lyrca guard may or may not guarantee protection depending on the type of jellyfish and how well the jellyfish got you wrapped up. My friend was wearing one and she got stung. Her scars are not visible anymore.

I wish my scars were something to show off about - I got stung in the armpit and nipple. It was more of a joke than anything else! It still hurts just thinking of the lemon juice I put afterwards...

btw, welcome to scubaboard Maria!

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    200 - 499
    Photos
    2 years later I still have a few tiny zit looking items on my chin. Never had zits on my chin prior to the sting.

NA

Has not set a "status"

Witness Protection Program (hiding from the MOFia)
    Photos
    I have sea nettle scars all over my abdomen from seven years ago. The ones on my hands went away after about a year. They were rather digusting and embarassing at first but now they aren't too bad, just blemishes about 1.5" long and maybe 1" across. I could get them fixed with plastic surgery but I'm not THAT bothered by them. Keep your scars out of the sun while they are healing. Make sure you don't get an infection. One of my scars is actually a raised knot of tissue that isn't terribly attractive, I think that one was a tad infected.

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    500 - 999
    Photos
    the marks should go away in a few days, don't scratch them. I always advise people to wear a 3mm full suit regardless of temp, just for exposure protection from abrasions and things like jellyfish. There are millions of microbes in the water with you, when you cut yourself you are exposing yourself to all sorts of things that are in the water, the inconvenience of putting on a suit is more than worth it to put a barrier between you and most of the things in the water, plus, when you pee it keeps you warm

Marine Scientist

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    200 - 499
    Photos
    I've been stung on two occasions by man 'o war. In both cases the stings went away by the end of three weeks. Other folks have lifelong scars. It partially depends on the density of the stinging cells, and how deep they penetrated. Tentacles that wrap around you tend to leave much nastier welts than tentacles that incidentally brush you.

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Photos
    I had marks that lasted YEARS, the actually embedded deeply enough to leave little trenches in my feet and lower legs.

Next time, put your feet in fairly hot water to ease the pain, it helps a ton.

The scars should eventually go away, but as others have said, the severity of them really matters and it could take years.
    What happens if a precognitive foresees himself having déjà vu?

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    50 - 99
    Photos
    Well, growing up on the water in FL, I've been stung more times than I can remember, and I don't have a scar from any one of them, and I usually scar like crazy.
    "I'm pretty tired...I think I'll go home now."
    - Forest Gump

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    50 - 99
    Hi everyone. Thanks for all the replies so far. Hopefully I'll just be a 3 week case and not 7 years. Looks like I'll buy a wetsuit.