Quarry Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CincyBengalsFan

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Howdy all,

Went to Mermet Springs in Illinois this past Friday. I have NO desire to EVER go back. Viz was about 7 fr. Temp. averaged in the 50's. The "Jet" 727 is hardly anything. It has NO wings or Tail section. Plus 100% of the guts of the plane has been removed. The cockpit is caged off plus it's at 40-50 ft. where the water temp. is 49-42 degrees. You would think you were in a metal tube if it wasn't for the windows. It looks like it had been rolled over about 100 times too. TRUELY disappointed. So we got a refund for Saturdays dives and drove down to Curelean in Western Ky. that day. Diving was warm and GREAT. 20+ foot of Viz plus the temp. ranged in the upper 70's. until about 30 ft. then is was only in the upper 60's. MUCH MUCH better than Mermet. Martha's quarry outside Nashville is my favorite and Curelean is #2 on my list.

Originally posted by bengalsmgtsucks
It looks like it had been rolled over about 100 times too.
It was! Dinnt you see the movie?!!??:popcorn:

Cerulean is my Fav, but then again, I havent been to Martha's. Im gonna try and see if I can sneak down and meet yall this weekend. I wish I had know that you were at Cerulean, I would have joined you!!!

Mark

I did three dives in the local quarry (Millbrook in Haymarket, VA) this past weekend...

Viz about 5'-10', temp around 50...I lost a mask and saw a sunken cement block, a statue, and an old rowboat.

Don't you love quarry diving?

If it's wet I'm happy! The two biggest things that quarry diving has for it them is the people who show up week after week and there's always there to go diving. Well except if you get blown out. Yep, last week we got blown out of a quarry dive! Lighting and tornado touchdown's followed by mudslides makes you reconsider the diving plans.

Kaffphine,

Which quarry was it?

Hey O-ring,

Have you tried Lake Rawlings? I’ve heard it's really nice, warm with good vis, but a three to four hour drive for me. Might check it out on the 13th of July as a shakedown for a North Carolina trip on the 20th.

It sounds like you missed the biggest attraction at Milbrook, the bus with the van on top.

Mike

Is there a link to Lake Rawlings for us?

Yeah, I did Rawlings last Wednesday and have done it a few other times as well. You are right, Rawlings has warmer temps and the vis is great for a quarry (not to mention they have air fills too).

I live in Arlington and it is almost exactly a 3 hour drive for me.

I did miss the bus with the van on top...damn...have to go back and check that out.

Eric,

Is Rawlings still %@#*! cold below the thermocline? Just wait until you see the wonderful 5-6 ft vis at Rolesville quarry during the DIR class. On the other hand, if the vis is up some, check out the old rock crusher, just follow the line off the frount corner of the bus (the frount, driver side). It's kind of neat.

Back
Top Bottom