The oldest new diver?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

crazyitalian

Registered
Reaction score
You know how there's sometimes a story on the lighter side of things in the news (as opposed to the usually depressing topics )? I've seen stories about people skydiving for the first time at age 80+. Or people enrolling as undergrads at 60-70. What about diving?

Have any of you certified someone significantly older than the norm? Or do any of you know anyone who has successfully undergone an open water course at an older age? Someone that would fit in the senior citizen category (let's say 70+ years of age for the sake of argument)? For that matter, have any of you done it yourselves? To those of you that have been involved, what can you relate?

I'm curious. I don't personally know anyone who has, but they must be out there. I would guess that from a teaching standpoint it would be a bit different to be directly involved with teaching someone much older than average. By that, I don't mean the actual instruction would be any different, just that the feeling of participating in something fairly unique (in the sense that it probably seldom happens) would make one ponder a bit. I imagine it would be a pretty rewarding experience. Not only instructing, but just being around in a situation like that. Even as a bystander I would think that it would be a pretty cool thing to witness.

Sort of an inspiration to everyone and a reminder that it's never too late to try something you want to do.

The oldest that I've ever certified is 73. He was going to Austrailia and wanted to dive the great barrier reef. He did and the last time I talked to him, he hasn't dived since.

When I was getting my OW certification there were two retired gentlemen in my group. They were best friends and decided they wanted to try something new. I would say they were in their 60's, but I didn't ask them. It was kind of neat. Many people that age tend to assume that their life is winding to an end, but these two guys were preparing for all kinds of new adventures.

Andrew

I certified this year and I am 53. My buddy for certification was older than me but I didn't ask his age. I refuse to wind down, grow up, or get old (well I can't help the growing old thing!). Ask me again in twenty years! I hope then the number of dives I've done are greater than my age!

Randy

OW at 57, DM at 59, active diver (175+ dives/yr) at 62. This is a wonderful sport for an aging population as there is always something new to learn and new goals to achieve.

A friend of mine carried out a DSD (resort course) with an 82 year old woman (or so he told me). She had a doctor verify that she was physically fit enough.

Leni Reifenstahl, the famous photographer and film maker (Triumph of the Will: Nazi Party Day 1934) was certified when she was in her 70s, then became an exceptional uw photographer. Several of her photography books were best sellers. She died two years ago, age 101. If you can overlook the fact that she was an ardent Nazi, she was an amazingly accomplished woman.

Certified at 54, DM at 56 and hopefully still going! I have pictures of my dad diving when he was close to 80 years old, that is what got me started, figured if he could do it at that age I could start at my age and I am very glad that I did :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom