Welcome to ScubaBoard, an online scuba diving forum community where you can join over 205,000 divers diving from around the world. If the topic is related to scuba diving, this is the place to find divers talking about it. To gain full access to ScubaBoard (and make this large box go away) you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Participate in over 500 dive topic forums and browse from over 5,500,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
  • Post your own photos or view from well over 100,000 user submitted images.
  • Gain access to our free classifieds marketplace to buy, sell and trade gear, travel and services.
  • Use the calendar to organize your events and enroll in other members' events.
  • Find a dive buddy or communicate directly with scuba equipment manufacturers.

All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

NEW for 2014 Access SBlogbook for members. It allows you to directly upload data from your dive computer, validate your logs digitally, link your dives to photos, videos, dive centers (9,000 on file), fishes (14,000 on file) and much more.

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the ScubaBoard Support Team.

Thread: Anyone done the Nat Geo PADI dive course?

Registered

I have status!

Dives
    100 - 199
    Photos

Anyone done the Nat Geo PADI dive course?

I was checking out some dive sites I am hitting up soon and saw a banner for a new National Geographic PADI Open Water and wondered if anyone had actually done it or their thoughts?
    I doubt I would do it - but feedback would be cool.
    Cheers
    Pas
    If wishes were horses - we'd all be eating steak.
    I am on the Twitters!

Scuba Instructor

Has not set a "status"

I've taught it.

A recent change is that this program can now be conducted as a specialty and not just a more comprehensive "Open Water" program.

In the course you do additional work on buoynacy and navigation and you get to work on an underwater exploration program. All very useful skills.
    WileEDiver
    [The diver temporarily known as DyvrDan]

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    50 - 99
    My husband and I did the National Geographic Open Water class for our OW certification. Here's the link to my review of the class.

http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread...ographic+Diver

Personally, the best part of the class for us was the extra dives and the confidence we gained through them. Knowing what my confidence level was after the first 4 dives, there's a good chance I would have been certified and never dove again. However, the last two dives really boosted my confidence level in my skills. That and the "exploration project" was a really cool experience. Taught me to spend time looking at things instead of just worrying about skills.

Registered

Has not set a "status"

I did it at as extension to my OW earlier this year.
    It was a generally good fun (learning proper boyancy controls so one could hover stationary above a reef to draw it on a slate was one of the tasks set to us), and did teach a few good skills.
    You get a kick *** card too, much better than the other PADI ones, but thats only a bonus, lol.
    I do like my fish, and as a newly qualified divers, it gave me more of an eye to find the critters.

I did PPB and navigation adventure dives during the Nat Geo which counted towards the AOW i did later on. I'd recommend doing these too, because those dives and the course material reinforce each other superbly IMHO.
    Remember children, the creation of Francium Fluoride is an exothermic reaction...thats exothermic timmy...so lab coats and safety goggles!

Registered

I have status!

Dives
    100 - 199
    Photos
    Thanks guys - might be worth doing after all.
    Cheers
    Tae
    If wishes were horses - we'd all be eating steak.
    I am on the Twitters!