Panic Attacks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KingViper

Contributor
Reaction score
Just curious if panic attacks are common among other divers? The reason I ask is because my dive buddy and I went to a local quarry last weekend and he suffered from a panic attack once we hit the water. He was really shaken up about it and he has about 300 logged dives. Is this a common thing? I haven't had any troubles before but was just curious.

Thanks

Bryan:D

By no meaning am I a Dr.,,,,,,,but panic attacks related to SCUBA are not uncommon,partc. in persons with a prior history of them. In the case of your dive buddy whom you indicate is a seasoned diver and the fact you had just hit the water,,,,my guess is there is a underlying reason aside from the activity of SCUBA that triggered the attack. Of course the action at that point is to abort the dives till he has visited a Dr. for an exam.. You do not want to dive while at risk of a panic attack or while under stronger aggressive Rx treatment,,,,he should play it very safe.

I think they are fairly common. I've been diving for slightly less than a year, and I've witnessed 1 panic attack and 2 near-panic attacks. Also, on my last check-out dive for AOW (120 ft. in a murky lake), the dive was rushed and didn't feel quite right from the beginning. I managed to get through it, but only with great effort. Personally, I think it happens (or nearly happens) a lot more than we like to think. However, it seems to be something that divers don't like to talk about.

I hope your buddy figures out what caused his problem, and can get back in the water soon.

I think panic attacks are far more likely once one is a bit narced, near 100' give or take. Of course, this is the least ideal place for a freakout. If he had it on the surface, like your letter suggests, I think there may have been other causes. Of course anyone having a panic attack should just stop moving until they're calm enough to assess his/her situation and act accordingly.
I speak from experience. I had a panic attack going down the line to a large wreck. I looked at my depth gauge and knew I should be right on top of the ship. I can't miss the ship since i have one hand around the descent line, right? Once I calmed down a bit, I realized that the viz was so poor, I was right on top of the wreck--less than 20 feet away! Hasn't happened since, but the advice is good--stop, assess, act.

I used to suffer from panic attacks a few years ago before I started diving. I was in medication to control them, but medication did not make them go away. I used visualization and took a class in mind control and those were the tools that helped me get rid of them for good. I have done over 30 dives the deepest 130 ft. and have had no problems. I have been in deep trouble when my buddy and I were swept away by current and could not make it back to my boat. We drifted for about 40 minutes until we were picked up by a fisihing boat and even then I did not have a panic attack. From my personal experience, I think it will help to visualize your dive a few minutes before you jump in the water and you'll be fine. Hope this helps.

I have seen panic attacks a few times but I do not consider them common with experienced divers. One of my recent students couldn't get a doctors release because he couldn't allow her to dive with the medications she takes. As far as I'm concerned those who suffer from panic attacks need to take up tennis.

I do not have any experience in dealing with panic attacks while diving but I will say that a diver's mindset is the key to their survival. I am a combat veteran and the ability to keep a level head in the face of extreme danger is the difference between life and death. Scuba diving definitely has all the ingredients for a situation of extreme danger to arise. The ability to think through a problem or potential problem and follow your training is the biggest safety mechanism a diver has. Just my 2 cents worth.

I've seen one full blown panic attack, which oddly enough was on the surface after the dive was over, while waiting to get up the ladder.

It was pretty impressive, and made me think that the Stress & Rescue class shouldn't be optional. Everybody needs to know how to handle stress, control panic, help a panicing diver, how to avoid being killed or injured by a panicing diver.

Terry

KingViper:
Just curious if panic attacks are common among other divers? The reason I ask is because my dive buddy and I went to a local quarry last weekend and he suffered from a panic attack once we hit the water. He was really shaken up about it and he has about 300 logged dives. Is this a common thing? I haven't had any troubles before but was just curious.

Thanks

Bryan:D

There is a difference between concern/apprehension and a panic attack. The former is related to the circumstances and good judgement. The latter is irrational & dangerous. A panic attack in the water (and especially under it) is a potentially fatal accident waiting to happen. People prone to this problem should not dive. It is far too dangerous. For the life safety of these people; they should seriously consider a different sport.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom