Long comparison between 2 dive operators on the NC coast

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Marlinspike

Contributor
Reaction score
Recently there have been several threads (or maybe it was just posts) about diving in NC. Last week I had the pleasure of diving again with Discovery and the displeasure of diving with Pelican Divers.

Here is the breakdown:

I spent the first half of the week with my family at the beach in Emerald Isle. It was absolutely beautiful. We all had a great time.

Wednesday
Clouds start to roll in and the seas kick up a bit. 3 friends of mine, all experienced divers with Rescue Certification or higher arrive to dive Thursday, Friday, and Saturday. We had planned for offshore dives but this IS North Carolina and we all are well aware of how quickly conditions change. The weather starts to look unpleasant for the rest of the week. Oh well, whatever.

Thursday
We arrive at Discovery in Beaufort at around 7 AM and load up aboard the SeaQuest II. Captain Jerry Smith tells us precisely what we can expect. The seas are rough and there is no precise way of telling at that point what we will or will not be able to dive. He will try to take us out but we may have to turn back. Sure enough, we are plowing through huge waves and turn back after about 2 or 3 miles. The ride was fun, but getting back on the ladder was not going to be any fun at all.

Friday
We arrive at Discovery at around 7 again and this time load up aboard the Outrageous V. Again we will attempt a dive but there is no guarantee it will be offshore. We do manage to get out. It is rough and a few people feel a bit queasy but nobody gets really sick. We only manage to get out to the INDRA (70 FSW artificial wreck) and encounter a bit of surge and about 20-35 foot vis. I saw several large barracuda and a monkfish (in addition to all the other usual creatures). After one dive the captain begins to take a vote on who wants to do another dive on the same wreck, a different wreck further inshore, or who wants to head back for a partial refund. He is clear about not wanting to keep us out in the rough stuff just to make money, but is perfectly willing if the majority want to do another dive. After a bit of inter-diver politics a majority forms and we head back to shore when conditions at the second wreck are no better.

Saturday
Olympus and Discovery are booked for the weekend and we decide to give Pelican Divers a shot. It is one of the few dive operators on the NC coast that at least one of us has not tried before because of what we have heard. We arrive at 6 am, the time we were told to be there, only to not be allowed on the boat for another 20 minutes because the capt is not there yet or something. This is where it started.

People keep arriving. More divers. More people. There were 16 divers, plus the crew of 3 and 2 non-divers aboard the 45 foot boat. The only dry place on the boat was below, and that was quickly taken over by the crew and people who seemed to be their friends. Everyone else had to sit where they could or stand. This included being practically on top of one another and sitting on other people's gear. There was a definite lack of space and tanks even had to be stored forward of rear deck where all our gear was. There were tanks almost as far forward as the not-even-nearly-high-enough pilothouse. Those of us with Pony bottles or bailout bottles couldn't really gear up unless the guy to either side was in the water with his gear. I am usually the first guy in the water but there was no way I could gear up with everyone else still putting on their wetsuits everywhere.

The diver area was covered with canvas that never really kept the spray out but did create a vacuum effect that sucked all the diesel exhaust back into the boat. The crew was helpful really only when taking our fins off for us and handing out water to the 10+ people that puked their heads out.

During our surface interval the captain gave us no indication if we would move to another site or even dive again at all that day. The crew went spear fishing while we all sat there and wondered. During this anchored portion of the trip people began to puke. Not just 1 or 2 but almost everyone who was not crew. Still no word from anyone on what would happen next. The crew speared a flounder or grouper, rumored to be below legal size, and rumored to have been hidden in a cooler. I did not see it.

Here is where the crew really acted dubiously in my book. Clearly most people wanted to head back. There was a CLEAR majority here. The Captain, instead tells us that as long as 1 diver wants to make a second dive we will ALL HAVE TO WAIT AT ANCHOR, seasick or not. No majority votes like on Olympus or Discovery. No partial refunds like Olympus or Discovery for either not getting 2 dives in or not going offshore, even though that is what we paid for.

Sure enough, one lawyer dude who had been pitching his unsolicited services to another diver on the way out wanted to dive again. 5 people in all did the second dive (out of 16). It seemed some people dove again, just to not stay in the boat. All 5 of them came up on the Olympus instead of our boat. it wasn't like the anchor lines were not CLEARLY TAGGED with the boats name or anything...sheesh.

Incidentally, the Olympus was also clearly not rocking as much as the Pelican and nobody seemed to be puking on that boat. In fact, while we were projectile vomiting, they were having lunch on the other boat. None of those in my group usually gets seasick but this was a notable exception.

Conclusion:
Once again I was impressed by Discovery Diving Co and really appreciated the size and layout of both Discovery's boats and the Olympus having been on the Pelican in the same seas. The Pelican is an inadequate dive platform for more than 8 or 9 divers at a time (some in my group said 6) and not stable in anything but the calmest North Carolina conditions. Most divers had trouble with the ladder. People on the larger Olympus seemed to have no trouble. We will not dive with them again unless they adopt business practices similar to Discovery or Olympus and start letting on no more divers than they actually have room for.

~Marlinspike

Marlinspike,
I've said it before, & I'll say it again: boats reputations are nearly ALWAYS deserved, good or bad. Clearly u did not have fun with Pelican. I'm guessing that you will not be patronizing them again or sending them business. I got the biggest laugh out of how the 5 divers swam moved to the better boat!

You probably should be accountable for the fact that for days you had watched the weather getting iffy, & yet you still contrived to go out again on Saturday. I probably would've taken my buddies to a pool for a refreshing game of water polo instead of risking it. You did have some awareness of the boat's reputation, yet you chose to chance it. Viz is always yucky on rough days, yet you were not disuaded.

So it was an open boat? In the case of a charter, your group would have a leader to interact with the crew on your behalf. The crew sounds a little "hands off" for my tastes, & to disrespect the law on game size reduces their image in the eyes of all honest divers.

I will point out what I hear/see from divers on boats out here: some divers really prefer a boat that leaves them to their own devices. These people like lower prices, less supervision, & more freedom to dive as they choose (no BC, rebreather, bringing up relics/game without being questioned). They don't like being held up by newbies, & push to get the maximum number of dives in per day. Service means little to them. Except for the fuel smell, some of these people may have enjoyed the Pelican!

the one I was on this weekend was not very service-oriented; the crew did not assist divers taking off fins on the swim step or help pull us back on board. The captain had promised me that the hold would be open so I could sleep there the night prior (to save me driving at 4:30am), but instead left the boat locked. I had to sleep in my car. The galley was just a BBQ grill on the back of the boat. There was one piddly cold-water shower outside, & one head. Nonetheless, the dives were fun & ineresting (despite heavy current) & the divers were quite content NOT to have someone checking their names off as they entered or re-emerged. Assists to the current-challenged were provided by club members, not crew members. Everyone went home happy anyway because the crew indulged them on FIVE dives that day in 4 locations. Smiling club members loaded fish in ice & neat relics into their vans. they patronize this boat monthly.

I would take some friends but not others on the above boat, but if I ever have an experience like yours on the Pelican, I would never go back. However, I am just saying tha low-service boats that stay in business do have a clientele with reasons that they prefer such crafts & crews. If given the choice between diving on a lousy day on a lousy boat and postponing, I take the NAUI Master Diver textbook's advice & admit to myself, "some days just aren't meant for diving."

Yeah, I would have said, "Bad day, bad-rep boat....how about staying indoors today, guys?"

The price for a day on Pelican and the price for a day on Discovery are both $85. They sure DO NOT provide the same service.

If you like feeling like being a sardine, go for Pelican.

my $.02......

Yup, even though we were not going to get a refund I should have just stepped off the boat when I saw that they just kept letting people on.

~Marlinspike

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom