hyperbaric and U

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kevfin

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
So, there I was talking to my friend who works at USC-LCMC (a training Hospital here in Los Angeles, California) about getting a tour of the hyperbaric chamber on Catalina (because the USC docs oversee treatment) and he tells me he wrote a paper on dive accidents in California covering the last five years.

Well, wouldn’t ya know: The leading cause of dive accidents in California (probably elsewhere too) requiring use of the Hyperbaric Chamber are:

1) Being a new diver

2) Going to deep

3) Ascending to fast

If you didn’t know, now you do…

***new divers… watch your depth and watch your ascents or get DAN or Dive Assure insurance***

Of Course they are. Don't really need to do much analysis for that to be clear.

Sorry for the sarcasm, but I don't think this will be shocking news to anyone.

Also, I'd recommend that All divers (not just new divers) watch their depths, stick to their plans, ascend suitably slowly, AND get DAN or similar insurance if you live in a country where you have to have insurance to actually get medical care.

Xman:
Of Course they are. Don't really need to do much analysis for that to be clear.

Sorry for the sarcasm, but I don't think this will be shocking news to anyone.

Also, I'd recommend that All divers (not just new divers) watch their depths, stick to their plans, ascend suitably slowly, AND get DAN or similar insurance if you live in a country where you have to have insurance to actually get medical care.

No apology needed.

I didn’t want the tone of my post to be too harsh.

The post was just something to think about and hopefully a friendly reminder of the obvious to everyone that reads it.

Like I said in the post, if you didn’t know, now ya do… and you're right, I agree, it's good advice for all divers.

BigJetDriver69:
Kev,

Did you get a chance to meet the "other" Kev out there, Kevan Corson? He's a good guy, and a real-life "wild man"!

Rob

Not yet... where does he dive?

BigJetDriver69:
Corson is one of the honchos out at the hyperbaric center.

Then in all likelihood, if all goes well. I will meet him soon...

I'll remember the name.

Back
Top Bottom