young fresh and green

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

oldsoulman

Reaction score
hello
I'm seriously considering getting into the scuba profession or more like life style, and have been doing my research, checkin out places to do the course (i think Utila for sure either cross creek or dive centre) and job availablity afterwards.
Anyone have any advice for this new kid on the block regarding anything from equipment to buy, what to read or sites to check out and what to watch out for and to play close attention to and learn about??

Hello OldSoulMan,

you'll find there are several threads here on SB about what to expect if you want to make teaching people to dive your profession.

Please fill out your Public Profile (and Dive Info) when you've got the time so we can get to know you a little bit better. If you want to, you can have a look at my Public Profile for inspiration. :wink:

Laurens

So have you made your first 100 dives, or just a Resort course, or just some snorkeling...? Kinda' need to know your exposure to the sport before I could comment.

:bandit_2: don

I've done abit of snorkeling and 1 scuba dive in the Dominican Republic through resort crash course. Want to get cert as Instructor and live the life/style.

your enthusiasm is great, but I just think you need to worry about developing your diving skills and gaining experience before you should think about teaching others. Just my $0.02

oldsoulman:
I've done abit of snorkeling and 1 scuba dive in the Dominican Republic through resort crash course. Want to get cert as Instructor and live the life/style.
I see. Well, if you are free to live whatever life you want to try - Utila could be a good choice. Cheap living, cheaper opportunities to advance thru levels, great diving. As long as you don't expect to make any money, you could have some good adventures.

I'm in no hurry to teach people or run off and make a go of it some place else. I only want to reach Instrctor status because i understand DM wont give me any kind of work and as an instructor i can make a bit of scratch, get the hands on at the same dive shop where i was taught/cert and get more experience dives under my belt. I don't have alot of money, or any financial backing or family for support so i need to be able to feed myself if i i'm to pursue this dream, thats all.

Hi Oldsoul...
well I am living the life here on Utila. in fact I am Head Instructor at Cross Creek. I love it, as I am sure you can imagine but it is not without its ups and downs.
Now moneywise, you can expect to earn in the region of $800 to $1200 per month once you have some experience and this is a good income here, just dont expect it to go far off the island.
I hear what Toolbox is saying but we have plenty of inexperienced divers come here and make very good instructors, our new instructors always work under direct supervision initially before being let loose on the world! Also bear in mind that you need to have 100 plus dives before you can start your instructor course but you can get those here whilst gaining experience on other courses and whilst doing your divemaster..
Have a look at Go-Pro Utila website for more info on the IDC, check out www.aboututila.com for more info on the island.
Keep dreaming, I had this dream about 7 years ago whilst wearing a suit and tie in the financial district of the City of London and here I am.
Good luck
Simon

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom