question about padi standards

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rooster1

Reaction score
How many classroom hours and pool hours is required by Padi for OW?? anyone know off the top of there head.

top of my head from several years ago so things may have changed. PADI seems to operate on a modular system. Its not based on clock hours. You complete modules 1 thru 5 with certain subjects and skills in each modules. You are done with the module when you can demonstrate that you have attained the information and perform the skills required.

My PADI OW class was 5 sessions of classroom and pool work.

My daughters PADI OW was 8 sessions of the above.

The shops providing the training were different obviously.

the reason I ask is cuz my my sister inlaw is starting her padi classes tomorrow and things don't seem right. This is the time frame...It will be 3 days only (3 Thursdays in a row).

Each of these 3 days classes are from 6 pm to 10 pm.
4 hours that starts at the lds for the classroom stuff and from there they have to drive downtown to get to the pool, get in the pool for skills and be done by 10 pm.

From the lds to downtown driving, finding parking, getting dressed for pool= 30 to 40 minutes which means that each classroom and pool combined will be a total of about 3.5 hours per day x 3= 10.5 hours of combined learning dive book and test and learn and know confined water skills,( and this is with 6 students)
:confused:

I remember when I got certified, it was also done over 3 weeks, but 6 days. 3 mondays of 3 hours of classroom and 3 hours of pool with 7 students which is almost twice as much as she is getting. and to boot I thought we could have used more time in the pool. I remember Some students in our class went to do their open waters with not knowing their skills well enough and some not having done some skills at all because not enough time in the pool. Remembering this I dont know how they are going to get these 6 students up to speed in half the time it took us?

I think all this math is adding up to profit margins:upset:

but that is the system. Keep in mind that the instructor doesn't have to move the student on to certification if they can't show knowledge attainment and skill performance. If the student does well then they will move on to certification. If that goes well they will get a C-card.

Its up to the student to apply themselves and its up to the instructor to make the right decision.

Keep in mind that the pool sessions may well run over the scheduled time. Mine did by an hour and a half each night.

This whole scenario is what drives the thinking that pocession of a brand new c-card is like a teenager getting their drivers license. They know what and how but lack true skill. They have a license to learn and develope the skills. Of course, how many really try to develope their skills?

Keep in mind that the pool sessions may well run over the scheduled time. Mine did by an hour and a half each night.

They are out of the Pool by 10pm there is no staying late to learn. That is the same place I did my confined dives and they dont let you hang around

My family and I were just certified this June. It was a Thurday through Sunday for pool and classroom. Probably 10 hours of classroom and 8 hours of pool - with a little extra time due to running over. The pattern in Chicago seems to be four days one week and than open water dives the following weekend and done. It does seem a little fast as you go from complete supervision to "go ahead and dive anywhere on your own." But the instructor would not certify anyone who didn't meet his standards.

Just my experience recently,
S

There is no specific number of hours set by PADI standards. Although, they do recommend 31 hours for Open Water Training. Doing your math above, this is an extremely short course. I would tell your sister in law to insist they allow her to go through another course if she does not feel ready for open water. If they did not agree, tell her to call PADI and complain. Or better yet, ask for her money back and find another course.

Wow, I don't know if I would feel comfortable even doing a one-on-one private lesson that quickly. A local shop offers a two weekend class that totals 20 hrs, and I feel that it is even too fast.

Originally posted by Rooster1
the reason I ask is cuz my my sister inlaw is starting her padi classes tomorrow and things don't seem right. This is the time frame...It will be 3 days only (3 Thursdays in a row).

Each of these 3 days classes are from 6 pm to 10 pm.
4 hours that starts at the lds for the classroom stuff and from there they have to drive downtown to get to the pool, get in the pool for skills and be done by 10 pm.

From the lds to downtown driving, finding parking, getting dressed for pool= 30 to 40 minutes which means that each classroom and pool combined will be a total of about 3.5 hours per day x 3= 10.5 hours of combined learning dive book and test and learn and know confined water skills,( and this is with 6 students)
:confused:

I remember when I got certified, it was also done over 3 weeks, but 6 days. 3 mondays of 3 hours of classroom and 3 hours of pool with 7 students which is almost twice as much as she is getting. and to boot I thought we could have used more time in the pool. I remember Some students in our class went to do their open waters with not knowing their skills well enough and some not having done some skills at all because not enough time in the pool. Remembering this I dont know how they are going to get these 6 students up to speed in half the time it took us?

I think all this math is adding up to profit margins:upset:

The PADI system also alows for independent study for the academics. The instructor reviews the knowledge reviews administers quizzes and goes over what the students don't know.. Then administers a final exam.. I don't know how this store is running it but many shops I know have the students purchase the videos Or CD (I think this is the best way.. its fully interactive) and the student must show up with the work completed.. The instructor will review key points and test.. This way most time is for in water development.. Personally I use a combination of both, it saves some time but still has lectures...
I get an idea what the students already a strong in so I can concentrate on the weaker areas and most important points..

PADI Open Water Course

Minimum age 15
Required Hours 31 includes Class room, Pool and Open Water Dives
Minimum Open Water Dives 4 plau Ont Skin Dive.
Recommended over 2 days

Cheers
Chris
PADI MSDT

Regardless the agency standards, I really resent the LDS creating this cootie chase all over the city. Diving leadership (according to my textbook) also includes good event planning. That means creating a smooth & workable itinerary that the students can follow without feeling rushed & overwhelmed by the logistics.

I sometimes work with an instructor who does not fully do his homework on these areas. The hectic preoccupation students have regarding catching boats back to the mainland, etc distract form the lessons. If the pool sessions & calssroom must be done on the first day, they need to find a pool & class room that are closer together.

Back
Top Bottom