PADI instructor

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nickjb

Contributor
Reaction score
Can a PADI instructor teach OW without being a member of a PADI club or company? A member of our local BSAC club is a PADI instructor (as well as being a BSAC instructor) can he teach PADI OW?

This is in the UK (if it makes any difference)

They must be a renewed PADI member ( in teching status). Insurance rules may very with location and of course all other local laws must be complied with. I PADI instructor who meets those requirements may teach. There is no requirement for them to be affiliated with a shop or club.

I am a Padi Instructor, previously with a LDC until I retired and moved out of town. I sometimes return to my old dive center to do a class/confined but also teach on a private basis. I have set up a classroom in my home, have a couple sets of training gear and do private or semi-private certifications. Don't expect to make any money this way as course material are expensive without volume discounts and access to pools for confined sessions are difficult. However, you can be selective with the students you take on. I interview prospective students and only continue with those who are really serious about becoming divers rather than just getting the card in case they may go diving.

I continue my relationship with my old LDC and am on call if they get into an overload situation.

Bear in mind that in the UK, the HSE diving regulations come into play.

You need a three-man team: Instructor, Support Diver (CMAS 2* or equivalent) underwater and surface support.

The HSE website has more information - http://www.hse.gov.uk/diving/

HTH

Dom

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom