Sherwood Maximus

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DudleyNMU

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hey Guys,

Just wondering if anyone of you use a Sherwood Maximus for tec diving or deep diving ect. I plan on making the jump soon into tec diving and was wondering how sherwood's work for tec diving.I wanna see what my options are and dont wanna loose an arm and a leg doing it. Anyways thanks guys,

That's all my PSD team uses. Many have been tested over the years and they have come out on top with the Poseidon.

Gary D.

They don't have a lot of snob appeal, but the Sherwoods are about as reliable as regs get. I don't have much actual experience with the Maximus (couldn't get used to the underarm hose), but I used Sherwoods for deep air for years without a problem. There are better breathing regs out there, but we used what we had. I cracked up when someone on this board recently said that Sherwoods should not be used below 80 feet. Ahh, the absolutes of knowledge gained thru inexperience. Eighty feet! Give me a break.

I have always used Sherwood regs... Took my Max down to 301ft last month and could notice no difference in how it breathed... My budy had a Scuba-Pro and had to stop at 250 cause he couldn't suck air out of it anymore....

What's funny is when we got back to the Lodge I was looking through a Scuba Mag that had reg tests in it and they rated it as having very poor performance at 180ft..

I bought an ATOMIC for my wife and have used it a couple of times... I still like my Sherwood better....

No problem using the max deep, which to me is 160' for now. I use it as my 2nd primary and a SP as my 1st primary. I know if my SP froze or failed the Max would be ready to deliver.

Yeah I too read a post where someone said Sherwood's can't be used deeper than 80'. Ha ha ha - I had a Sherwood Brut from past recreational purchases and have used it as my deco reg with absolutely no problems.

--Matt

DudleyNMU:
Hey Guys,

Just wondering if anyone of you use a Sherwood Maximus for tec diving or deep diving ect. I plan on making the jump soon into tec diving and was wondering how sherwood's work for tec diving.I wanna see what my options are and dont wanna loose an arm and a leg doing it. Anyways thanks guys,

I think you'll have to see how it works for you. They're bulletproof but I never liked it deep because to make it feel right you're constantly fiddling with the cracking adjustment. When I started to reconfigure for tek it initially got turned into an octopus and then replaced.

I know some people swear by them. I didn't have one for nothing either but it wouldn't be my personal choice for a primary deep diving reg.

Strangely, I don't find it much of a surprise that they work better at 100 metres than they do at 40 or 60. The difference in breathing effort between Nitrox and Trimix will make a big difference in how any reg performs.

R..

I use the sherwood Oasis and love it! While I havent had the opportunity to go deep with it yet, I have no reason to think it would fail me. I know some divers who who HAVE used thier's on deep dives and never heard a word of complaint about it.

FD

I just got back fro 10 days in the Philippines , my deepest dive was 200ft and I used the Oasis (same 1st stage as a Maximus) , no problems at all . We had people in my group with more expencive and "higher end" regs , saw lots of little stupid problems. I like to follow K.I.S.S. when it comes to gear and I never have a problem.

KISS is my diving religion :D

care to elaborate on the "stupid little problems" you saw?

DudleyNMU:
Hey Guys,

I've used the Maximus, and would recommend it to anyone. I know many divers who dive from my LDS who use them for ice diving. I've also been to the Sherwood Repair seminar, and like that they are simple, and easy to service ( the K.I.S.S. Theory). All in all, while they don't get marketed like some of the "high end" regs, they will serve you well and do what you want of them.
C-Dawg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom