How soon for night diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AquaGuy

Contributor
Reaction score
I am newly certified (5 dives) and am wondering if it is too soon to a night dive with some experienced divers? I am very comfortable in the water and would have access to all of the correct equipment! How many dives do most people have under their belt before they begin night diving? Do I need a certification for night diving?

Thanks for all the help

You don't need special certification to night dive. However, you do need to be familiar with some procedures specific to night diving. How you learn these things is not so important as long as it's correct. I am natrally sceptical of the "experienced buddy". Don't assume that because your buddy has been diving for a hundred years every where there is water that they can dive well (most can't). Even if they know it all don't assume that they are capable of teaching or supervising.

I would say to go for it if you have the right equipment, specifically enough lights. The one thing I would suggest is to make the same dive during the day, then the orientation for the dive after dark won't be so foreign.

Good luck...

There are a few extra things to take into account so it is well worth going with an experienced and 'good' buddy. Its not that tricky if you pick a good site. My first night dive was dive number 15. It was really good and I've done a lot more since. Night diving can make any site more fun.

really good bouyancy control and then follow the advice given above.

Be comfortable reaching for any piece of gear you may have to use without looking.

Often, if you are doing a boat dive, when you go with a dive operator they will take you to a site that allows easy navigation at night. I do not have any knowledge of the diving in San Diego, so I don't know if that is useful or not.

I did my first nite dive At 5 also . however my buggy was also my instrctor. jfo56

I did my first night dive at 15 with an "experienced" buddy. It was fun!

I think that night dive had the best visibility of all the ones I did that weekend :D

My first night dive was dive number 14. I still have a very limited number of night dives.

Stay near the boat. There's no reason to swim very far. As mentioned above, pick a site you've dived in daylight and which is easy to navigate (a ledge is perfect). Don't shine your light at anyone's face. Turn your light off before starting to board the boat. Your light can temporarily blind the DM and/or captain when you board. If this happens they cannot deal with any emergency which may arise.

Back
Top Bottom