Poll: Do you dive with or without a snorkel?

Do you dive with or without a snorkel

• Always have the snorkel.

Votes: 82 22.8%
  • Never dive with a snorkel.

Votes: 154 42.9%
  • Sometimes dive with it, sometimes without.

Votes: 123 34.3%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I dive with, but for some lake/non-current/non-wave diving I'm thinking of leaving it behind. I notice that about 5-10% of divers (including some instructors) leave their snorkel behind. I find it sometimes annoying, what do you guys think?

Why in the world would anyone want to have one of those entanglement hazards on their heads?

I can surface swim just fine on my back, and besides, with good navigation skills one doesn't have to surface swim, especially if you pick your sites correctly. And if I did have to surface swim, I would have saved enough air to go ahead and use my reg.

The only use I can see for a snorkle would be to do some nice surface intervals on a shallow warm water reef or when I am with my kids who aren't certified yet.

Tim

BrianV:
Title speaks for itself. Feel free to reply with the reason why you do or don't.

A snorkel is a tool. If you are in rough water or have to do a long surface swim it's certainly not foolish to have one... but I tend to leave it behind on calm seas or lakes.

Thanks, I feel the same exact way and honestly can't remember the last time I used a snorkel when I was scuba diving. I'll start leaving it behind on easier dives where I know I won't have long surface swims, and maybe one day kill it altogether.

I do find it annoying quite often as it rubs against your face or enters your field of vision.

Agreed!
Entanglement problem, i don't use snorkel in any water condition. but encourage new diver have it save there back gas if don't have it.:D

Jason Ooi:
Agreed!
Entanglement problem, i don't use snorkel in any water condition. but encourage new diver have it save there back gas if don't have it.:D

Thanks, nice to hear it's 'ok' from an instructor!

I'm a part timer-

For my own diving, I never wear it. I can usually avoid the surface chop and surface swims by staying under. The only time I wish I had a snorkel is when I was "freediving" or snorkeling.

When I DM, I only wear it when course standards or instructors require it.

new diver a bit nervous, snorkel will help them switching, swim long way back to boat in any water condition.
snorkel advantages for diver but especially experienced diver will say entanglement. HA-ha
make sense!

Back
Top Bottom