Hydrothermal Vents

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gonetobaja

Reaction score
Im sure you guys have seen the shows on TV that show the deep sea hydrothermal vents. If it where possible to dive there (without a submarine) do you think that would be an interesting dive? Could you sit and watch hot water come out of the ground for a whole dive. I wonder if all hydrothermal vents have those big tube worm colonies.

Bottom line.....

Do you think it would be cool or lame. :huh:

Would you go on a dive trip just to see them.

and no, peeing in your wetsuit is not hydrothermal vent dive.:11doh:

GTB

High temps can be an issue, as well as the hydrogen sulfide gas they pump out isn't very user friendly. If it were possible, a hydrothermal vent doesn't really interest me as a dive site.

How many miles deep are they...?! :11:

There are some vents (on a much lower scale) in places such as Dominica. It's one of their "signature" sites called Champagne because of all the bubbles flowing up like you're in a champagne glass. Water is noticeably warmer (even hot right at the vents) and the fish love it.

BurBunny:
There are some vents (on a much lower scale) in places such as Dominica. It's one of their "signature" sites called Champagne because of all the bubbles flowing up like you're in a champagne glass. Water is noticeably warmer (even hot right at the vents) and the fish love it.
Oh yeah, I did one of those once off of St.Kitts. Felt like a big urinecline. And the fish were loving it, maybe for the extra algae? :wink:

The Depth and heat and toxic environment aside.... I believe the sea live around these vents are completely new to us. That being a consideration ....Seeing life forms for the first time is almost alway interesting.

Gonetobaja,
You have some vents right in your own back yard (realitivly speaking).

Come to Los Angeles and we can dive some hydrothermal vents at White Point. Easy dive at 10 to 20 feet depth and we will not need a boat as they are 10-100 yards off shore. But frankly, they are rather a yawn. But the scientist seem to like them. After the 1933 earthquake, the vents were reduced in flow and tempature to just a small flow, but they still flow. The vents are found by looking for the white bacteria growing around them.

I like the one in St. Kitts makes for an interesting story and the reef isnt to bad either.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom