PADI or NAUI

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You can go to either www.padi.com or www.naui.org and see their philosophocial differences on their approaches to education and scuba, but I would not be too concerned on which agency puts their name on your c-card. I would suggest that you talk to the instructor and see what they plan to teach you and go from there.

Where I am located there are PADI, NAUI, SSI, and YMCA instructors around, but I ended up with NAUI becuase that particular instructor had a genuine interest in teaching me how to be a safe diver while still having fun. The PADI person seemed more interested in getting me through the course, etc...

I must stress though that this could have been the reverse case. Also look at the YMCA and SSI, for you you might find an excellent instructor there also. (I believe these are the major agencies)

Please keep in mind that this is just my opinion.

Rob

They both teach scuba, however NAUI goes into more detail as to the " real why" things that happen in the underwater world. Also and most importantly NAUI requires in its openwater course and has always required full underwater unconscious diver rescue. In other words if something were to happen underwater to a diver (heart attack for example) NAUI trains how to get the hurt diver to the surface and begin rescue breathing. PADI teaches this in the rescue course and not the openwater course which is offered after the diver takes the PADI advanced course. Most divers do not take anymore courses after openwater, therefore in todays society and with the increased incidence of heart disease NAUI feels this is an important basic skill. Although NAUI is not the largest, it is the oldest with its motto being "Dive Safety Through Education"

Chad B

I already hooked up and payed for half the class with a padi instructor in March in Fla. Went to a dive shop here in Atlanta and it seemed that the NAUI instructor was going to teach more. Sort of wished I had talked to her about the AOW course before I hooked up with the PADI course for AOW.....Oh well....

laserdoc:
I already hooked up and payed for half the class with a padi instructor in March in Fla. Went to a dive shop here in Atlanta and it seemed that the NAUI instructor was going to teach more. Sort of wished I had talked to her about the AOW course before I hooked up with the PADI course for AOW.....Oh well....

Im staying with Padi even though I encountered some pretty ****ty instructors. Its how you make the course as well as picking a credible instructor. Practice makes purfection.....!!! Seems eventually most divers are certified by both several years later. Remember you can always cross-over at any time. There seems to be an awful lot of PADI bashers lately ........................ :whack:

My Picks

PADI Recreational
NACD Cave Diving
TDI Tech

Cheers !!!

Gerry

I have both SSI and Padi training...and personally after diving for awhile...it really doesnt matter what agency as long as you learn how well......not to die is a good thing to know. Get a good instructor. NAUI, PADI, SSI, Cracker jack box. it doesnt matter.

Atomicchad:
They both teach scuba, however NAUI goes into more detail as to the " real why" things that happen in the underwater world. Also and most importantly NAUI requires in its openwater course and has always required full underwater unconscious diver rescue. In other words if something were to happen underwater to a diver (heart attack for example) NAUI trains how to get the hurt diver to the surface and begin rescue breathing. PADI teaches this in the rescue course and not the openwater course which is offered after the diver takes the PADI advanced course. Most divers do not take anymore courses after openwater, therefore in todays society and with the increased incidence of heart disease NAUI feels this is an important basic skill. Although NAUI is not the largest, it is the oldest with its motto being "Dive Safety Through Education"

Chad B
I understand where your coming from when you say"real why" Just ran this by the girl friend who is getting her OW at the same time I'm doing my Advance and believe it or not she had a good point. She wants to get through the course and have fun. She is a nurse and has been for almost 30 years. She has to deal with life and death every day...how often has she had to face something like that herself ???? Maybe 3 times in 30 years. Asking me how often I would be doing a search and rescue,using a compass in a triangle or a square,using a lift bag to bring something to the surface etc.... and all of this while we are on a dive boat in the Caymans or where ever.....98% chance none of these. I have been diving since 85 and have yet had to even come close to any of it. After 21 years of diving I'm finally getting my Advance,,,why???? hell I guess just because.

laserdoc:
Talk to the instructor and mention to them that you don't want to just be a "certified" diver, you want to be a "trained" diver. Nothing wrong with asking them to impart as much knowledge and instruction that it will take to make you a safe, competent diver. Also, be aware that even though someone informs you that agency XYZ goes more in depth with their courses, you can't make the assumption that the instructor from said agency will. In a nutshell, ask the instructor what they will be do to ensure you become a competent diver. Form your own opinion, draw your own conclusions and enjoy the class, whoever it is with!

laserdoc:
What is the difference??

I tend to agree with the other people who said the instructor is the most important part of the equation.

The instructors from which I have taken SCUBA courses prefer NAUI because NAUI gives them more flexibility in how they teach the course (They are NUAI, PADI and SDI qualified).

Both instructors that I have taken classes from put in a lot of extra effort. As long as the student is determined to learn to dive they stay with the student and don't bleed them for extra money.

For example, both of these instructors require a passing grade of 90% on any of the written certification exams. With the quality of instruction I never had a problem achieving the 90% or higher on the written certification exams.

If it were not for the quality of instruction received I might have given up on SCUBA certification.

In summary, a good instructor makes all the difference in the world (especially when you consider it is your life that hangs in the balance).

I agree with what is said about "it depends on the instructor", as there are good and bad instructors in all training agencies. However, you must know that instrucotrs are bound by the agencies training standards. PADI's standards do not allow the instructor to exceed its standards and do not allow full rescue training. It is a modular approach to teaching and thier standards are a maximum. SSI standards allow more flexiability but do not require full rescue training. NAUI has the highest minimum standards in the industry giving the instructor the most flexibility and freedom to adapt to his or her students and environment all while requiring full rescue training to better equip the diver.

Chad B

Back
Top Bottom