Back to basics - Long post

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ae3753

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
A few of weeks ago, I took for the Essentials of Recreational Diving course offered by 5thD-X with Elissa (dive buddy/spouse) and Sara (a close friend). Joe Talavera and Delia Milliron were the instructors.

The class consisted of 7 student, ranging from a person with 25 dives to someone with over 200 dives. Joe set the expectations that the class was targeted to the new diver, though I was surprised by how many of us had mentioned wanting to eventually pursue technical diving. Only Sara said that she was just interested in seeing fish on the reef.

I took the course to focus on primary skills and to get more familiarity with long hose diving. I wanted to be more comfortable and efficient in my diving so that I can be more effective during task loaded activities. Also, I had read so much about the course's emphasis on buoyancy and trim, that I wanted to go back to school. Since moving to the Bay Area, we have become a little lazy in our diving, and I needed sorting out. And of course, who knows how many bad habits I picked up that needed cleaning up.

First night consisted with lectures of the need to understand the why's of diving, building block of diving, course overview, weighting, buoyancy, proper trim, propulsion techniques, and the basic 6 skills for recreational divers. We also watched videos of trim, propulsion, and the basic 6 skills.

Since I have seen the videos before, I was more interested in the discussion of building blocks and buoyancy/trim. The lecture provided a nice framework for thinking of these concepts and all the different factors that come into play.

The next day we arrive at Breakwater to great conditions. Sunny and flat. Quite different than what was predicted by the swell model. First order of the day was dry runs on trim and propulsion.

We discussed proper positioning and Delia demonstrated. While Delia held position effortlessly, my back revolted as I contorted to the prone posture. I need to do yoga or lower back excercises. Next, we did dry runs on all the kicks. Joe and Delia walked around, pushing against our feets so that we can have the proper feel of the water. This was particularly helpful since you get to experience where the pressure should be. While I had variations of all the kicks before, I knew that I was not as efficient as I could be. Getting the detailed tuning was great. More on this later.

After going through all the kicks, we did a fitting of our gear. It was first explained what a proper rig should feel and look like, and then we kitted up. Delia and Joe were very helpful in setting up new gear and checking existing rigs, offering advice and recommendations for adjustments. While there are many sites that explain how a BP/Wing should be rigged, having an experience person check your rig is much better.

At this point, we were ready for dive #1. Joe and Delia briefed us on the dive plan, and each team donned their gear and did an equipment match. As this was the first Monterey dive for Sara, I had guestimated that she needed 24#'s (7mm full and 7mm hooded shorty). After we decended, I quickly realized that I had made a mistake and given her more weight than she needed. Ugh, should've have done a buoyancy check before dropping down. But at that point, I was more concerned about making sure she was comfortable and happy. Still, really not cool, and I still groan thinking about it.

First dive was all about trim, buoyancy, and propulsion. Joe lead our team through its paces. During the dive, Joe really helped me on two of my kicks. On helicopter, he really pushed me to use smaller and smaller kicks, until my helicopter was really tight. Of course, this put my ankles into an immediate state of sore. With the backwards kick, Joe swam behind me and moved my feet/fins into the correct motion. Interestingly, quite different than what I had envisioned and how I translated what I saw on videos to my own attempts. But as the result, my backwards kick was 100% more effective. Though far from perfect, I could move back with some force now. It's not that I was immediately awesome as the result of Joe's help, but at least I was able to feel what worked. And now in my diving, I can check for that sensation. These two fixes were worth the course for me.

After the dive, my team spends a few minutes getting warm, and then we started with dry runs of the Basic 6. On the surface, it becomes apparent that the SS clips I purchased for our primary hose were going to stick and be difficult to handle. Even on land, these clips are hard to open. In the water, with 7mm gloves, it's going to be a chore.

The second dive, we attempted the Basic 6. This time, Delia assists our team. During my reg/octo exchange, I went to grab for my alternate reg and was surprised to NOT find it around my neck. The bungee knot I used had come undone, and the octo was just dangling. Of course, the primary was out of my mouth, so I'm thinking, "boy, this is not so smooth." After the exchange, I take a few moments to re-tie the double fisherman knots. Later on the surface, Delia offers advice to keep the knot in place.

Beyond working on my underwater knot tieing merit badge, the Basic 6 really hit on a couple of skills that I feel are needed for recreational diver, but not stressed enough. Mask flood/clear and remove/replace while neutral and in trim are not tested in OW courses.

Most OW course teach this in the vertical position and on the knees. As the result, it does subconsciously teach divers that you have to go vertical to clear. This could lead to interesting lost of buoyancy which I see in OW check out dives, on the reefs, and in our Essentials class. It's not something that is taught, and it should be. Once you teach the basics of mask clearing, it should tested while neutrally buoyant. Mask remove/replace is the next step up. Teaching these skills in OW would be interesting to say the least. I am curious if people do, and how it's done.

After the dive, we clean up and head for eats and then watching the video. Actually enjoyed the video very much, and everyone had things that they did well and things that we needed to improve upon. Since Joe and Delia kept the mood positive and fun, it was easy for me to enjoy the lessons on the tape, as opposed to obsess. Joe has a great knack for pausing the video at the best/funniest/most relevant times.

For obvious reason, my favorite sequence was of Elissa going from good trim --> "hmm, where is everyone," let's do the running man to turn around --> "oh crap there's joe and the video camera", I need to get in even better trim --> better trim, tada!

After the video, we called it a night cause everyone's pretty beat.

Next morning, the class voted to do only one dive and have a lecture and review. We had a full day yesterday, and past on lecture in the evening. This was a good decision since it allowed us to have a good dive and a solid lecture, and not be rushed during the day. As we all know, diving should be fun.

Dry runs of the S-Drill and Valve drills, and then in the water. Our team did the Basic 6 and then the add'l drills. During reg/octo exchange, I use two hands to clip off my primary. What I appreciated was that Joe stopped me and request one hand only. No slacking.

While the S-Drills went well for our team, Elissa and I both struggled with our valve drills. I was really impressed by the effort that Elissa put forth, staying horizontal while reaching for that valve. For me, I ascend about 5' while fighting for my valve. I ultimately reach it, but it was struggle. We then turn to Sara, who completes her valve drill with ease. She was in a wetsuit, while we dove dry, but it was still good execution on her part.

To end the dive, we do a horizontal ascent with 1 minute stops at 10' intervals.

After cleaning up, we head to the classroom to finish the lecture and review video. This lecture focused dive planning, gas use, gas planning, what does technique have to do with fun.

This lecture shifted our thinking about diving. The issues and concerns that we had with what we see on recreational dives (lack of planning, lack of gas management, etc) were clearly addressed. The discussion of rock bottom and the different scenarios for usable gas were particularly helpful. Read all the stuff before, but having a lecture/discussion really hit it home.

Overall, the class really shifted our diving in a very positive way. After the course, we were invigorated to dive more. We were definitely on a diving high.

There's nothing quite like that level of instruction, is there? I am very excited that my husband will be taking Essentials, along with our bests friends, at the end of April.

I definitely appreciated the high level of instruction, the attention to detail, the pushing to be a better diver. Joe and Delia's attitude and the class's workshop structure made the course a lot of fun.

Without the pass/fail pressure, I feel that we were all able to just learn. A lot less stress. Though I haven't taken Fundamentals, I did recently complete Cavern. And the pass/fail requirement added another level of stress to all the activities and skills we learned.

I'm glad to hear that your husband and best friends are taking the course. Sound like I'm preaching to the choir when I say this but they will learn a lot and have a good time doing so. The course really focused on the basic skills of trim, buoyancy, and propulsion. And it touched on dive planning and gas management.

I would recommend that the Essentials class be the next course after OW that divers should take. I know that there is a lot of discussion/fustration with the way OW courses are currently conducted. And I share many of those. However, there are significant economic and time pressures with OW courses in my area.

That is not to say that we don't try. We are constantly improving our OW courses. To help our students, the instructor I work with offers free pool sessions and a 5th OW dive (a "fun dive"), but only 10%-15% of the students take the extra opportunity to practice or dive more.

As the result, for most students, OW teaches the minimal skills to breath underwater. "This is a regulator, this is a BC, etc." It doesn't necessarily make you a good or efficient diver. The Essentials course provides this foundation. I'm glad that someone is offering it. And back to your question, I'm really happy that it's from Joe, Delia, and 5thD-X.

ae3753:
Most OW course teach this in the vertical position and on the knees. As the result, it does subconsciously teach divers that you have to go vertical to clear. This could lead to interesting lost of buoyancy which I see in OW check out dives, on the reefs, and in our Essentials class. It's not something that is taught, and it should be. Once you teach the basics of mask clearing, it should tested while neutrally buoyant. Mask remove/replace is the next step up. Teaching these skills in OW would be interesting to say the least. I am curious if people do, and how it's done.

Interesting post! In my OW class, our Instructor placed a pretty heavy emphasis on this skill. His reasoning, I suppose, is that masks get kicked off more than people realize.

In the pool, he had us do an excercise with the class, that was fun. First, as we swam underwater laps, with our buddies, we would exchange masks. Since we were swimming, we were already in the vertical position.

After doing this a few times, we had sort of a relay-race, where he took our masks, and put them on the bottom of the deep end. We would swim the length of the pool, regulators only, pick up our mask, and put 'em on and clear 'em while swimming. This was a great drill and really drove home the basics mask flooding and clearing.....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom