Question for the under 30 crowd...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rick Murchison

Trusty Shellback
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
When I was a youngster it was Lloyd Bridges, or Jaques Cousteau. Is there anyone alive now that you think of when you think "Scuba?" Negative responses appreciated as well as names.
Thanks
Rick

George Irvine, Jarrod Jablonski, Dell Motes, Buddy Quattlebaum, Bill Rennaker, Larry Green, John Jones, Harry Averill, Tyler Moon, Steve Bogaerts, Paul Heinerth, Wes Skiles, Lamar Hires, Dan Lins, Andrew Georgitis.

Reruns of "Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea" (had some scuba) and Jacques Cousteau specials. In addition, I vividly remember a special on the Doria from about 1980.

I think that Jacques Cousteau is still the most well-known name (in general), even for those of us under 30. Then again, I only just qualify (I'm 29.)

What I'm wondering is if there are any giants alive today - folks who are identified with Scuba by younger divers as icons of Scuba - Like Cousteau or Bridges, but still here today. Some who are possible candidates to me are Sylvia Earle, Stan Waterman, Dee Scarr, Bob Clark etc... Some others - like the tech folks JamesK mentioned are possibles but probably only in the limited circle of technical diving.
What do you all think?
Rick

Well, I've heard of George Irvine, and Andrew Georgitis, but I don't know very much about them. I personally don't recognize the other names you just listed, but that's just me.

Re-George Irvine, Jarrod Jablonski, Dell Motes, ...
In the expo and tech world, yeah real popular. But as far as a general population celebrity, nope cant think of any!
Cousteau's best achievments were not his dives, but the way he brilliantly showed the average joe bloggs the underwater world that we divers take for granted.
Thats my 2 cents worth!

...for this game, but I'd like to throw in a couple of names.

Ian Gordon (Shark Gordon)... do you get his program in the US? On telly a lot here (Singapore) and probably in Australia and NZ as well.

Robert Ballard... okay, not much actual scuba involved, but IMO he's the most Cousteau-like figure of our times, at least in terms of bringing new underwater scenes to the telly-viewing public.

Interesting question...

Zept

Did anyone mention Cousteau's son..Jean Michael (I hope I got the name right)? He does a reoccuring article in one of the dive mags I get. I believe it's Skin Diver..Correct me if I am wrong.

The only other person that pops into my head is the crocodile hunter Steve Irwin. I watch his show all the time and he has donned scuba gear and went below more than a few times. I wouldn't call him a scuba icon though.

Amber

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom