Have you ever used your dive rescue class skills?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

*Floater*

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
More specifically (for those who have taken a dive rescue course), have you ever rescued yourself or anyone else using something you learned in your dive rescue class but would otherwise not have known to do? And if yes, then what was it?

One time. And the sad thing about it was the instructor did not have a clue. Me and a couple of DM's on a fun dive took care of it. A student got into the current, surfaced in a ferry lane and had hypothermia to boot. Everything came out great in the end. It was great how all the divers on shore stepped up to help.

Rescue class I feel is the best class to take. I learned more from it than any other class I have taken.

This is more OW than rescue, but did a shared-air ascent with a low-air buddy, it went fine. And once towed a panicked diver on the surface with no fins, to the tag line on a rough-weather night dive.

Not the PADI course, but when I was in the Military, myself and 3 lads from my workplace had to go on a First Aid Refresher, you know the type of course you think Oh God, its going to be so boring, I know it all, I'll just fall asleep (Please bear in mind I was very young at the time!!) Anyway as it turned out, I didnt know it all (neither did the rest of the course and it was very interesting.... bout a week later, the other 3guys saw a car crash right in front of them, pulled 3 people out of a car wreck no fatalities, big press coverage, military boys came good

Speaking to them later, they all agreed if they hadnt been on the course their actions may have been not so quick and right......

So doing a course is great, doing a refesher is even better

I agree, The rescue course is one of the best courses...
I have had to use some skills, nothing major...guess I should sign up for a refresher...
K

I just did the pool session of my rescue diver class yesterday. In two weeks we hit the beach and do it all again in the current. I kinda giggled when we were told to release the air from our BCs, use our power inflators to gain bouyancy. Empty the bcs again and then orally inflate... in that case I have used my self rescue techniques many, many times!

When teaching, I've had to use subtle rescue techniques. Like inflating a students BCD at the surface after they paniced and shot up. I've had to tow tired students to shore before.

There was an accident at the local quarry last year. During my DM, we, instructor and I, were providing a victim with O2 until we got the emergency crew. He had a heart attack and couldn't make it though... The rescue skill was really helpful to treat the victim in a right way.

The biggest lesson I took away from my Rescue class was that being proactive is much better than reactive.

While I haven´t "pulled anyone out of the water" I´d like to think that talking to people,trying hard to create a "prestigeless" atmosphere and stopping things before cascading has helped avoid accidents...

I´ve also done a couple of diver tows (on non-buddies)...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom