No certificate

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fin-in

Registered
Reaction score
Is it illegel in the USA to dive or buy scuba gear without a diver certificate,and who has the power to enforce it if there are laws?

Fair question,I am thinking of getting a certification,I know all about diving,been doing it self taught sorta. I had a job scooping up golf balls once and the man gave me his old gear so been diving in some lakes.

I would recomend that you you get you open water certification before you go any further. What lakes have you been diving in? Where are you located?

You can buy diving JUNK anywhere! Your money is better spent taking a class and surviving! Garage sales will sell diving gear. I've bought thousands of dollars of diving gear and air without asking for any kind of certs. for years. Only when diving on a charter in Chuuk lagoon did anyone ever ask!
Cheaper to invest in Class than the best equipment on the market, or the cheapest!
I took the first class in '67 and have been diving ever since. Oh, and Thousands in classes of every kind. Surviving is good! B------

Got :lurk:? Here is some to share :lurk: This should be good.

Carry on :15:

fin-in:
Is it illegel in the USA to dive or buy scuba gear without a diver certificate,and who has the power to enforce it if there are laws?
You can buy anything you want. You can even dive it, if you're feeling lucky.

You generally need a certificate to purchase tank fills. Outside of that, hell...go for it. You might live. Might not....remember, its what you don't know that kills you.

Having a certificate is no guarantee that you'll survive, but it tends to make the odds much better in your favor. Life is tough. It's tougher if you're stupid. Hope you consider getting certified before you do anything radical.

Alternately, buy life insurance.

Best,

Doc

fin-in:
Fair question,I am thinking of getting a certification,I know all about diving,been doing it self taught sorta. I had a job scooping up golf balls once and the man gave me his old gear so been diving in some lakes.

Hi Fin-in,

What you said sounds to me like "I am a self-taught surgeon" :)

Diving for golf balls means ... how many meters? How long are the dives (I'm asking, so I don't know; you might be prepared enough to dive as it is). Do they involve any planning? Search patterns? Varying depths? Is it allways near the shore?

Do you know anything about safety ascent rates? How to plan a dive? Buddy safety procedures? Safety stops? Buoyancy control?

These are just some things that came of the top of my head (and there are many others).

If any of these raise questions in your mind, definitely go for the course! It teaches the skills methodically and you will need them at some point.

If you "just go diving", it's not that you place yourself in danger (that is just Darwin at work, and ultimately your choice :06: ); It's that you're endangering the certified divers around you.

Sory if I seem harsh in my post, but you're scarring me :(

You're risking your life.

You'll know why this is after you've taken an Open Water Course.

fin-in:
I know all about diving
JOB SECURITY I'll never get to retire at this rate.

I've been diving longer than a large percentage on this board have been alive and I don't know it all. Bad attitude.

Gary D.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom