Presbyoptic Lens Replacement

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tom Smedley

Tommy
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
Has anyone had this done?
Were you satisfied with the results?
Did you continue diving afterwards?

Tom Smedley:
Has anyone had this done?
Were you satisfied with the results?
Did you continue diving afterwards?
Looked good goin' by me, Tommy. You try it and let me know how it goes... when I get up to your age maybe I will too :)
---
Really, reading up on the procedure I can't see that diving would be contraindicated by it. And it looks like the solution to my daily "lost glasses" syndrome. Now if they can find a way to attach my keys.....
Rick

Tom,
What are you having done and by which doctor. Are you having an IOL implant?? Hows your distance?

Deepstops on this board had lenses implanted in his eyes and he still dives. I have enough trouble just going to the dentist - fuggedaboud getting strapped in for eyeball work.
Maybe I shouldn't have watched "A Clockwork Orange" twice when it came out.

laserdoc:
Tom,
What are you having done and by which doctor. Are you having an IOL implant?? Hows your distance?

No decisions have been made yet but I have been on the wish list for lasik for years now and have not been a candidate for current technology. Even if I did get lasik I am told that I would still have to wear reading glasses and with a maternal family history of cataracts I am still at down the road risk of forming one.

The thing I am going for evaluation for now is replacement of the lens with one that focuses from inches to infinity and will never wear out. They aren't cheap but I have worn glasses since I was very young and would love so much to be free of them.

The physician that I use (taught him scuba) is John Swan in Montgomery.

laserdoc:
Tom,
While we're at it... my distant vision sucks; I can see fine at reading distance but my accomodation is almost nil - lens may as well be glass. I'd love to dump my glasses but all the earlier procedures had promised was trading the glasses I use for reading glasses. These new bullseye lenses seem just the magic trick I've always wished for. And with Tommy as a guinea pig..... :)
Rick

I'm 50 and had a friend of mine do lasik a few years back(free) since I'm in the biz. I had the left eye done for reading (mono vision) and the right eye for distance. I can read a book and a menu fine and see that deer cross a clearcut when I hunt. Guages are not a problem when diving. If I want to see anything at about 12 in then I will put on a pair of readers. Are you talking a lens implant like you would have when your cataracts are removed?IOL?? Do you know your perscription. I used to be about a -3.5 in both eyes.

Rick Murchison:
While we're at it... my distant vision sucks; I can see fine at reading distance but my accomodation is almost nil - lens may as well be glass. I'd love to dump my glasses but all the earlier procedures had promised was trading the glasses I use for reading glasses. These new bullseye lenses seem just the magic trick I've always wished for. And with Tommy as a guinea pig..... :)
Rick
Lasik can fix your distance. I would mabe check into have one eye done and leave your other eye for close up.
Several good lasik doctors in Monterrey Mexico. A big training center. They have all the newer laser there that are still waiting for the USA to approve them for sell here in the USA.. Are are in Mexico???right??

Back
Top Bottom