Hookah diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pam and Stella

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Could somebody please explain this term? Went to the "ask jeeves site," was given many "glass bong" references.

Thank you,

Pam

Pam,

I have never done this, but I think this term refers to a type of diving where your air source is up on a boat or pier -- you have a long hose attached to this air source which allows you to experience the underwater world (like smoking from a hookah). Obviously hard to get lost. This is normally done in shallow water.

Perhaps others who have tried this can chime in.

I used to do hookah diving when I was a kid. We only went to around 30 or 35 ft. But I believe some of the units can go much deeper than that.

I don't think there are DCS issues with hookah, but I'm not a doctor so take that with a grain of salt. I would imagine that AGE would still be an issue if you held your breath-don't!

is indeed a reference to surface supplied. you are
typically on a short hose though so DCS is not a
problem (unless you stay for HOURS). There are 'hookah'
style apparatus available and you can usually find
them advertised in various dive magazines. many of them
are available with integral "float" so they follow you
around.

Originally posted by Green_Manelishi

is indeed a reference to surface supplied. you are
typically on a short hose though so DCS is not a
problem (unless you stay for HOURS). There are 'hookah'
style apparatus available and you can usually find
them advertised in various dive magazines. many of them
are available with integral "float" so they follow you
around.

Said it nice and short. Only thing I can add -- I've only seen them at resorts in the warmer temps. (I've never seen or heard of any up here in Canada.

Actually, I did my hookah diving in Lake Superior! A little chilly, but I was young and stupid then!

Yeah, Hookah diving is great until a beach chicken happens along & alights on your air compressor's intake...or some curious boaters stop by to sit & ponder this strange device they've found while their outboard motor sputters its' exhaust by the same intake ( Bonus: the motor scares away the beach chicken).

Moral...best to have someone topside to t.c.b.

D.S.D.

Deepsea Dan,

T. C. B. ? Sorry can't decode. But, I gather this contraption is not too safe. A gentleman I met on a Travel Board reccomends a hookah when diving in remote locales. for lack of compressors.

Also, the marine life could get tangled???? Ha Ha! Could it not?

Pam

Hi,
My boss did this while on his honeymoon in the Turks, He said they called it SNUBA.4 lenghts of 20ft hose going to a unit on a float, and had to be careful not to get tangled with the other 3 people. Doesn't sound like much fun to me.

Rick

I have seen SNUBA offered in several places in the Caribbean.
It's a popular day trip off the cruise ships.
Hopefully, it gives people just enouugh of a tease, that it will make them want to be able to adventure out more, and become divers.
I think it at least builds awareness to the underwater world and how we need to support and protect it.
:sunny:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom