World record dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

roguediver

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I read in a small paper about a person hear in Tennessee that just did the record for the longest dive 72 hours but it did not have much more information about it. It also said that the dive was done hear in Tennessee in a lake but did not give the name of the lake. If anyone has any information about this let me know thank you.

something about that at my LDS but no details. Sure would like to know what the details were.

I'm not sure if this is the guy you are refering to but I read this a few weeks ago. Guys got some balls even if it's not the one you mentioned.

DATELINE :- 2nd August 2000

RECORD DETAILS

How John Bennett dived to 254m
Details have emerged of the 254m open-water dive in the Philippines in which 41-year-old Briton John Bennett set a world record depth. The dive beat by a large margin the previous record of 202.5m, set in March by Belgian Ben Reymenants at Dahab in Egypt.
Backed by a team from Capt'n Gregg's dive centre at Puerto Galera, Oriental Mindoro, Bennett dived on open-circuit trimix to a carefully planned schedule aimed at providing new parameters for deep diving in general.
Using a custom-prepared dive profile on Abyss software, Bennett employed very slow ascents and, during decompression, a relatively new technique called back-switching, in which the diver regularly switches from pure oxygen to the leanest oxygen mix allowed at that depth, to limit potentially dangerous exposure to high levels of oxygen.
Bennett took the technique one stage further by back-switching to pure helium for periods during decompression at the top stops, and is convinced that this was the single most important aspect of developing a safe deep-dive decompression routine. He reported no problems with decompression illness, oxygen hits or HPNS (a nervous system complaint linked with rapid descents to depth).
Bennett used four trimixes: 16/48 on the descent to 90m; 4/80 bottom mix from 90m down and back up to 150m; 10/69 from 150m to 90m; 16/48 again to 60m; and 23/23 to 39m. From here he used nitrox mixes of 33 per cent to 21m, 50 per cent to 12m and 73 per cent to 6m, from where he finished decompression on pure oxygen. Switchovers were extended over a period of time to ensure that his body did not react to a rapid change of gas.
Bennett's descent rate was 25m per minute, the ascent 25m/min to 180m, 15m/min to 150m, then 10m/min. He did 30-second stops every 10m from 150m to 120m, then one-minute stops from there to the surface.
For the dive a weighted line was set and PADI course director Alan Nash, an independent observer, witnessed Bennett return to the surface with a tag that had been set at 250m. After analysis of the dive computers and allowing for some line stretch, the depth of 254m was agreed.

we're talking about. The guy we're talking about stayed UW for 72 hours. I wonder what the depth was?

Pretty interesting that Bennet breathed pure helium during deco.

........we saw him going in. he was at a dock.
I would imagine he was just staying below the surface.
I think they said he expected to use 55 Tanks of air.

haven't seen or heard anything since.

South Holston Lake. One of my closest friends was there when they got out of the water. Said they ate applesauce for the 3 days and were not very deep. A couple of camera crews there but not like CNN or anything. Let's break that record up here in Kentucky.

CincyBengalsFan once bubbled...
Let's break that record up here in Kentucky.

Tell you what, I'll come down and visit ya and maybe play underwater monopoly with ya to help the time go by faster!

Mark

Tech Diver USA has an anouncement that there was another record dive. Almost 7 hours on a 18L bottle pressurized to 200bar--for 2600liters of air (may have been 3600). While I was reading the article, I typed in the total liters of air and equates to roughly 127 cuft. Almost 7 hours on 127 cuft of compressed air, not too shabby. Oh, old record was just over 5 hours.

Bill

Back
Top Bottom