Emergency Assistance Plan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

andydiver06

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
During you DM course it is required to prepare an Emergency Assistance Plan for a dive operation. It was easy job, I checked out the directory services and yellow pages on the net and within half an hour it was done. When I went back to the dive shop and submitted it my Instructor, he asked me wether I have called all these numbers up and checked out the protocol. Surely I didn't. When I tried a few numbers its a really a different scenario.

Please comment how you went about creating your EAP. Did you call everybody and confirm ?

Thanks troy. I'm having a hard time because EMS does not work so well in Goa India. I have still to call Police, Ambulance Service, Navy, Coast Gaurd. Nobody really replies properly unless you pose as if a real incident has taken place. No body really understands what scuba diving is around here except the Coast Gaurd and the Navy. If you say diving accident they understand driving accident.

I called everyone as well. I purposely chose to do a EMP in an unfamilar area to me just to insure my throughness. I called everyone to confirm contact info and how they go about doing business. For example, not only get I get the proper land line contact number for the Coast Guard as well as the radio frequencies, I also found out what piers they operate off of and if they have landing restrictions at any of the hospitals I had on my list. And after investigating I found out that the chamber in the area was actually not a part of the hospital system so there were a whole other set of numbers and contacts to track down. A good EMP only works if all the info is there..............

When my wife and I did ours, we actual went to the local hospital and talked with them. Seeing that there are always a fair amount of divers around that area, they were quit helpful and we learned alot.

I had fun doing one -- my Instructor required this in Rescue, is letting me reuse it for DM. I did it for an area that's popular for OW cert dives, a lot of students moving through, Cape Vincent on Lake Ontario.
I spoke with the hospital about the chamber, verifying that it's up and active.

Check each number, routes, whether the locals know protocol for dive related injuries and verify that cell phones will or won't work in the area, also identify the nearest land line in the event that cell phones don't work. Also, find the nearest landing area for evacuation by Life Flight if it's available in the area.

Back
Top Bottom