check out these triple tanks on ebay

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

neonstingray

Contributor
Reaction score
Don't see these too often.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Scuba-Tanks-Tri...233306330QQcategoryZ16057QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Can anyone tell me what the advantage was on these. I can't really see why guys used to dive these, other than because they look cool. I can see how they might be a little more ergonomic since they curve around you somewhat, but the added bulk and would seem to outweight that advantage. I saw the old thread about the triples, but I didn't have the time to go through all 6 pages to see if someone mentioned the advantage.

Austin

I've never seen triples, and I'm not sure what the advantage is there since it didn't look like there was an isolator, nor a reg for each tank.

Diving doubles (reg on each tank with a manifold w/ isolation valve) gives you a redundant air supply, especially useful for tech divers (plus it looks sweet). If one tank fails, you can shut it off and still have half your air supply left.

This was/is an old setup that was meant to look like the gear JC used to use on the show. Cool looking for it's time but it didn't sell well.

i saw a Cousteau show once, and they were wearing triple tanks; don't remember
their valve configuration

the ones on ebay are particularly ill advised, imho. you only have one valve. if that
goes, you're hosed. you might as well use a single.

Yeah, I understand the advantages of the doubles, but as you guys pointed out, there's not even an isolator on these.

The 3 - 30 cf tanks would be worth the current bid if they had valves, but - without them? :silly:

I just saw a show on PBS this past weekend with Jean-Michel Cousteau. I think it was called "Journey to Kure." Anyway, some of the divers were wearing this configuration - without wings. The single valve thing struck me as incredibly odd as well. Other divers within the show were using Inspiration rebreathers.

I was feeling a bit, I dunno, critical of the configurations they were diving. But then again, these guys practically invented the sport. Maybe they know something????

Even if they did have multiple valves, they still only add up to 90 cu. ft. so why go to all the trouble and complication of multi tanks. The only thing I could see is maybe a slightly thinner profile for tight spaces. But again, who wants to be in a tight space with a setup like this.......

Adobo:
I just saw a show on PBS this past weekend with Jean-Michel Cousteau. I think it was called "Journey to Kure." Anyway, some of the divers were wearing this configuration - without wings. The single valve thing struck me as incredibly odd as well. Other divers within the show were using Inspiration rebreathers.

I was feeling a bit, I dunno, critical of the configurations they were diving. But then again, these guys practically invented the sport. Maybe they know something????
the show is on now (the 2nd part anyway).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom