It's MAGIC!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RumBum

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Yeah, I could do this. :wink:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/12302813/

David Blaine to live in aquarium for a week
He'll conclude by trying to break breath-holding record on ABC special

NEW YORK - David Blaine intends to sleep with the fishes — but only for a week, and in full public view.

The 33-year-old magician will perform his latest stunt by living underwater for seven days and nights in a "human aquarium" in front of New York's Lincoln Center.

He will conclude by attempting to hold his breath underwater longer than the record of 8 minutes, 58 seconds.
The finale of his latest stunt will air live in a two-hour ABC special on May 8 (8 p.m. EDT).

Blaine's previous feats of endurance include balancing on a small platform for 35 hours and surviving inside a massive block of ice for 61 hours, both of which were performed in New York. In 2003, he fasted for 44 days in a suspended acrylic box over the Thames River in London.

The "human aquarium" in which Blaine will float is a specially built 8-foot acrylic sphere. He will receive liquid nutrition through a tube and the water will be kept at a balanced temperature to help keep his core temperature close to 98.6 degrees F.

Passers-by will be able to touch the aquarium, take pictures with Blaine and communicate with him. He will enter the sphere on May 1.

To prepare for the challenge, Blaine trained with U.S. Navy Seals and a world class free-diving team. An inside look at his training will be shown on the ABC special, which is titled, "David Blaine: Drowned Alive."

I looked for more details but just kept finding this same article over and over.

Oh brother....not this guy again!!! I remember his London stunt...the British were sik of him!

What did he do in London?

Ok so he's making a big deal out of this but he's hooked up to go to the bathroom and I believe he has a diving helmet, which could conceivably be rigged to allow him to eat. Fine, what is actually kind of neat is that he will be holding his breath for nine minutes straight at the end of this underwater ordeal. Question: If he's breathing oxygen all week long will it saturate his system and allow him to hold his breath for an unnatural amount of time without doing any real damage? I mean I know we breath based on our body's detection of carbon dioxide, not lack of oxygen. But none the less, if oxygen is the only gas absorbed in his tissues doesn't it stand to reason that his tissues won't be deprived as quickly? Or am I just crazy. I'm no Dr., just thinking. Perhaps someone more knowledgeable could assist my theory.

Thanks!

Bubble Boy David Blaine Beginning To Blister
by Mitch Marconi
May 3, 2006

Illusionist David Blaine is to live underwater for a week in a human-sized aquarium outside of New York's Lincoln Center. Armed with little more than an oxygen tube, a pair of pants, goggles, and a catheter, Blaine lowered himself into an 8-foot sphere filled with water shortly after 1 p.m. Monday and began his latest stunt aimed at defying physics and illiciting wows from the public.
The Brooklyn-born magician grabbed a couple of hours of sleep and was snatching "little naps" between waving and smiling at a continual stream of well-wishers in New York yesterday.

His hands are shriveled and sore, yet Blaine keeps up his fish-in-water act. "The hands have been pretty bad, but everything else is good," Blaine told the Daily News in an interview from the bubble as he peeled off a glove to reveal his prune-like fingers ... I wasn't prepared for the hands - that's a little bit of a scary sign because all the skin is starting to come off," he said. "My body's responding, but it's also coping. It could be a lot worse."

skyjack:
I mean I know we breath based on our body's detection of carbon dioxide, not lack of oxygen. But none the less, if oxygen is the only gas absorbed in his tissues doesn't it stand to reason that his tissues won't be deprived as quickly?

well, it wouldn't matter. as you said, the "trigger" to breathe is a build up of
carbon dioxide.

remember, you can pass out from hypoxia and not even know it. O2 just doesn't
control when or how you "desire" to breathe.

What a freak. Its not even magic.. its more like stupidity! The skin is starting to come off.. jeesh!! I see that a lot too.. In dead people that have been underwater for awhile. It looks painful. More power to him, I guess!

skyjack:
Ok so he's making a big deal out of this but he's hooked up to go to the bathroom and I believe he has a diving helmet, which could conceivably be rigged to allow him to eat. Fine, what is actually kind of neat is that he will be holding his breath for nine minutes straight at the end of this underwater ordeal. Question: If he's breathing oxygen all week long will it saturate his system and allow him to hold his breath for an unnatural amount of time without doing any real damage? I mean I know we breath based on our body's detection of carbon dioxide, not lack of oxygen. But none the less, if oxygen is the only gas absorbed in his tissues doesn't it stand to reason that his tissues won't be deprived as quickly? Or am I just crazy. I'm no Dr., just thinking. Perhaps someone more knowledgeable could assist my theory.

Thanks!

I hadn't thought about that. Did the guy who holds the world record do so on a breath of plain air?

Austin

Back
Top Bottom