Getting ready for DM Written Test

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LavaSurfer

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Any advice?

I have read all the texts, Twice, and learned the wheel.
Now in two weeks I am taking te tests and looking for any areas I need to really cram.

Are there any surprises I need to be aware of.
My only real instructions for final preparation were
  • Know the DM Manual
  • Know the Wheel
  • Know the Encyclopedia of Rec Diving

The hardest part is the physics. Be sure you can calculate buoyancy effectively--as in how much water will have to be displaced to bring an object of a specific size/weight to neutral or even positive buoyancy. The questions are not multiple choice.

You shouldn't try to "cram" anything as that is just memorization, you either know it or you don't. Although physic's really isn't that difficult it's the one area where you will need to do a little math whereas most everything else will be simple knowledge, environmental aspects such as waves, currents, etc. are items that you need to know but take little calculation. Equipment same thing. Dive tables and the wheel, you should be able to run those problems without thinking. I agree, make sure you are up to task on the "physics". A complete understanding on the water column, pressure, vol density, should make things easy-know your gas laws, along with Boyle and you'll be in good shape.-M

get the diving knowledge workbook from padi...if any thing in there is not understood you may have a problem..When I teach an AI course I hold it up and say "if there is anything you cannot do in this book you will have problems" same at an IDC..

My husband just went through all this and found it very easy. Don't stress, it's just high school physics. I read through all the texts and it's all pretty straightforward. Make sure you read all the questions carefully as well as the answers and take your time.

I'm sure you will do well :)

The only other thing I found helpful in DM and INstructor was the Encyclopedia workbook. IT was great....

Can't say for PADI, but for the SSI DiveCon exam, they word the questions very precisely and if you're not careful, you'll answer a question they didn't actually ask (and get it wrong), or beleive that the question's answer isn't one of the availble choices (and get it wrong).

Other than that, it's all stuff that's in the book and things you should already know.

Sorry to be so vague, but giving out too much information invalidates the purpose of the test.

Terry

LavaSurfer:
Any advice?

Now in two weeks I am taking te tests and looking for any areas I need to really cram.

• Know the DM Manual
  • Know the Wheel

Web Monkey:
Can't say for PADI, but for the SSI DiveCon exam, they word the questions very precisely and if you're not careful, you'll answer a question they didn't actually ask (and get it wrong), or beleive that the question's answer isn't one of the availble choices (and get it wrong).

Mine was PADI, and the wording of the physics questions in tht test can be tricky, too. Read carefully to make sure you are deciding, for example, whether you are making an object neutral or positively buoyant--you can do everything right in terms of the math and still get it wrong if you don't. Many of the PADI physics questons are not multiple choice. My Course director required that my answers be in imperial (which surprise me, since I had done most of my preparation in the far easier metric system)and exactly correct to the second decimal point.

LavaSurfer:
Any advice?

• Know the DM Manual
  • Know the Wheel

Took my written exam a few months ago and here are some other things you would want to prepare youself with:

1) DM manual
2) Know "The Wheel" and "The Table" :wink:
3) The Encyclopedia of Rec. Diving
4) "Divemaster Conduct Programs" (Know the standards from the Instructor Manual)-you can get download them from PADI's website. This is a must. The DM manual is not relevant at all.

I failed the section on "Divemaster Conduct Program" since I didn't know anything abount needing to know the standards. But I have got it out of the way.

Enjoy your preparation, good luck and have fun.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom