Question about air travel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Don Wray

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi, I am preparing for a trip to Orlando next month. When travelling by air, do you take your weights with you or will the dive operator have them there? I use integrated with soft weights and hate a weight belt. Also, what about the dive knife, pack it in your checked luggage? Thanks

Don Wray:
Hi, I am preparing for a trip to Orlando next month. When traveling by air, do you take your weights with you or will the dive operator have them there? I use integrated with soft weights and hate a weight belt. Also, what about the dive knife, pack it in your checked luggage? Thanks

Leave the weights at home. The dive operator will supply the weights. If the weights are heard lead you should be able to put them in your BC weight pouches.
I did this with me ScubaPro KnightHawk BC on several trips.

The knife must go in checked baggage or you will be donating it to the TSA at best and at worst detained while you miss your flight.

The standars is for the dive op to supply tanks and weights. A quick call will verify that. Never had a problem checking a dive knife in luggage. If you bring a light, carry the light on board, but leave the batteries in the checked luggage.

I bring two 2 lb and three 1lb soft shotbag weights in my carry-on. They take up no room, and have never been a security check problem. The TSA inspectors almost always do a visual after the X-ray, but when they see the reg, mask, etc., they don't even question the weights. I bring the 7 lbs of soft weights because I use them to achieve neutral buoyancy when snorkeling, which I do a great deal of on my own. I also use them while scuba diving, with an additional one or two pounds borrowed from the dive operation. Everywhere I've dived in the Caribbean, Central America, etc., the dive operations have always had plenty of weights, though almost always the solid cast types. I probably would not bother bringing my own weights if I was only scuba diving, though. As far as knives go, they absolutely must go in your checked luggage. I was asked on one trip recently if I had any hooks in my carry-on. The TSA saw my travel rod, and made it clear they would confiscate any large fishooks or hooked lures. Knives are really asking for trouble.

ronbeau:
The knife must go in checked baggage or you will be donating it to the TSA at best and at worst detained while you miss your flight.

Same goes for any repair tools like wrenches and screwdrivers or those all-in-one scuba tools.

Don:

I just flew to Florida, and carried my reg, mask and such in my carry on. The security person checked it visually, because she wanted to check if I carried my dive knife in the carry on. We talk about it and she said you can pretty much put anything in your checked baggage, including a spear gun, but you had better check it. Same goes for the knife.

John

As was said by the others, leave the weights at home and pack the knife in checked luggage. I carry my regs in carryon and check the rest. Have traveled with my gear several trips and have never gotten hassle about it.

We carry on our regs and I have my knife scabbard on my BC inflator hose -- guess what -- they see the scabbard in the X-ray and that means a hand check every time!

Yes, the knife goes in checked baggage.

If you have a weird weight configuration and need 1 pound weights, you might want to bring those. I haven't been on many boat dives where the op has 1 pound weights, and plan to bring a couple on our next liveaboard trip.

Don Wray:
Hi, I am preparing for a trip to Orlando next month. When travelling by air, do you take your weights with you or will the dive operator have them there? I use integrated with soft weights and hate a weight belt. Also, what about the dive knife, pack it in your checked luggage? Thanks

I'm going to Orlando next month too. Are you by any chance going to Battcon?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom