PADI Peak Performance Buoyancy "Required Skills"?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RJP

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Can someone post the specific skill requirements for the PADI PPB check-out dives?

Thanks!

Firstly you need a better BCD than your avatar show :)

They might be listed in the PADI AOW manual, if not I'd expect them to include being able to determine your proper weighting, weight placement, how to use your breathing to adjust your position in the water column, etc.

Don't expect a heavy skills requirement for this class, but it's a good one IMO.

Just did this dive - only thing I had to do was the knowledge review (basic knowledge of weighting, streamlining, etc), the fin pivot, and the hover. It was pretty easy - I had already worked pretty hard on getting my weighting and trim right.

-Nick

Don't know the specific requirements, but relax! Take your time and get the hover right. The rest is easy...and fun

You need to be able to open your wallet and remove money - without hurting yourself so bad you can't repeat the move.

Come on, that's not all about money! It's about time also.
RJP3 has few dives, and I think it is an excellent idea to take the peak performance Buoyancy. He will save a lot of time for control of his buoyancy, probably drop a pair of kilos from his belt within a couple of dives, feel how he can do gentle up and downs just by breathing, and have fun quickly underwater. He will also quickly become a diver who actively respects the environment and do not destroy everything with his finning or grasping.
Personnaly, I advise new divers to go through this training before considering AOW too quickly.

You will do fin-pivots and hovering. You will hover in different positions too (maybe upside down). Buoyancy games are also played ie. swimming through hoops at different depths whilst remaining horizontal (changiong depth with lungs, not swimming upo and down to each new depth). I also pass a small weight around whilst students are hovering, and get them to maintain their position with their lungs - no adding more air. I then get students to spend the rest of the dive swimming as close to the bottom as possible, without kicking up any sand.
Have fun, it's a good dive.

RJP3:
Can someone post the specific skill requirements for the PADI PPB check-out dives?

Thanks!

1. Peak Performance Buoyancy fundamentals:
• Buoyancy check.
• Fine-tuning buoyancy underwater.
• Weight position and distribution.
• Streamlining.
• Visualization.
2. Use of PADI’s "Basic Weighting Guidelines."
3. An opportunity to polish buoyancy control beyond the Open Water Diver
level:
• Positioning and distributing weight for comfort and desired body
position (trim in the water).
• Visualization techniques prior to dives.
• Buoyancy checks.
• Establishing neutral buoyancy during all segments of a dive.
• Fine-tuning neutral buoyancy underwater.
• Hovering.

What exactly is the hovering drill they cover?

Hovering – Student divers adjust
for neutral buoyancy and hover
motionless for one minute.
a. If appropriate, start by doing a
fin pivot.
b. Emphasize the use of breath
control to make minor depth
adjustments.
c. Have student divers adjust
weights (if possible) and
practice hovering in different
positions – vertical, horizontal,