Dive Insurance?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FlipScubaDiver

Registered
Reaction score
Hi all. I'm new to this board and just got newly OW and nitrox certified through NAUI. Does anybody here have Dive Insurance? If so, what type of policy/coverage do you have and how much is your premium? The reason I ask is because my instructor mentioned it to us and was wondering if it's worth it. I'll be diving mostly in the gulf of mexico or around the south florida area and won't probably dive deeper than 120-130 ft. Any advice would be helpful. Thanks

I suggest you do a search on this board. This has been discussed at length. Lots of information there.

yes, almost everyone on this board has dive insurance. just one ride
in the chamber will make it worth it. most primary insurance policies
don't cover hyperbaric treatment.

i use DAN. it is cheap and good

http://www.diversalertnetwork.org/

i think my membership and insurance come to about $90 a year

(yes, dive insurance is cheap)

FlipScubaDiver:
Hi all. I'm new to this board and just got newly OW and nitrox certified through NAUI. Does anybody here have Dive Insurance? If so, what type of policy/coverage do you have and how much is your premium? The reason I ask is because my instructor mentioned it to us and was wondering if it's worth it. I'll be diving mostly in the gulf of mexico or around the south florida area and won't probably dive deeper than 120-130 ft. Any advice would be helpful. Thanks
i and most of us on this board use both (depp)divers equipment protection plan, and or also (dan) divers alert network the dep is for EVERY piece of my equipment about $9000 in gear and it is fully coverd no matter what happens to it, the cost per year $212, dan, there are several policies but i wouldnt be with out either of them DEPP 1-760-674-9655 DAN 1-800-446-2671

I just got the premium diver's insurance (withouth the added equipment insurance that was mentioned above). I paid $99 for the membership + insurance for the year....one trip to the chamber (*knock wood that it never happens!*) is worth the $99!

H2Andy:
yes, almost everyone on this board has dive insurance. just one ride
in the chamber will make it worth it. most primary insurance policies
don't cover hyperbaric treatment.

i use DAN. it is cheap and good

http://www.diversalertnetwork.org/

i think my membership and insurance come to about $90 a year

(yes, dive insurance is cheap)

I beg to differ re: primary insurance not covering hyperbaric. I think they'll cover it, but at 80% of usual-and-customary-after-pretreatment-consult-and-obnoxious-hold-music. Having dive-specific insurance (DAN; Vicencia/Buckley(aka PADI); DiveAssure; do a search, as folks have said) generally covers the 20% and includes the dive-specific company doing the "obnoxious-hold-music-so-you-don't-have-to." If you read the dive insurance coverage, they specifically state that they are secondary coverage. That said, various members' reports on the board (+brochures) say to just call the dive insurer, (e.g. DAN Insurance, etc.) and they'll do the benefit coordination for you.

To me, it's inexpensive peace of mind (even at only 1 dive vacation/year). I have excellent health insurance thru work, but I choose to pay the extra ~$100 (DAN Master + membership in my case) for the peace of mind. (Had to play the "obnoxious-music-on-hold" game for another condition. Primary insurer paid, but only after lots of obnoxious music-on-hold. Thought about it for a diving emergency, and decided that it was worth not dialing 2378 touch tone buttons between 2:00am and 5:00am on alternate Tuesdays after the full moon to get pre-authorization, if you know what I mean :wink: )

i recommend you use http://www.insurance-quote-free.com for other ins. needs because they have impressed me with their ease of use and most importantly their pricing for insurance policies, when you fill in their short quotation form they draw your policy quotes from over hundred different health insurance providers

H2Andy:
most primary insurance policies don't cover hyperbaric treatment
Why do you say that?

(Disclaimer: Most of the time around here, when someone gives a terse response like this, it's because they just want to pull you in a bit more before they flame you. I honestly want to know what you're basing this on.)

--Marek

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom