getting insurance as a diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It really depends on the life insurance company. When I tried to buy life insurance, they asked all kinds of questions like how often I dive and how deep do I go. However, I bet your agent will always tell you that there is a chance that your premium will be higher and they might even reject you to be insured.

I had no problem as long as I agreed to stay within recreational limits. Even if I chose not to, my carrier would offer insurance. It would just affect the rates. I suppose that all depends upon the company.

I don't mention it, but I do check to see if it's on the exceptions list. The only times I've seen it, it's been listed under the category of "engaging in sports for pay". Since I don't get paid to dive, it doesn't qualify. I see no reason to offer more information than they need to know.

Now if I were exceeding recreational limits, I might be a bit more concerned about coverage.

Don't ask... Don't tell. I have never been directly asked "Do you Dive?” However, I have been asked in the same Q/A session if I skydive, hang-glide or ride motorcycles?

I guess my insurance carrier feels that an out-of-air emergency in diving is not as important as the rest…

Having just gone through buying life insurance, the answer (in my case) is yes: diving matters. Not a lot, but it matters.

For me, it was the difference between the "elite" rate (cheapest) and the "premium" rate (next to cheapest)...not a huge difference. My health tests otherwise qualified me for their best rates, but by agent told me the scuba diving bumped me down.

I had to fill out an extra form stating that I'm certified, give names and C-card numbers, etc.

And they did ask explicitly on the application "do you dive." I didn't want to withhold that and not be covered in an accident.

I think my application said something like, Do you engage in "risky" activities like scuba, sky diving. etc.
It didn't increase my rates though because I stay withing recreational limits. It's best not to lie about stuff like that. If God forbid happened while you were diving, and you lied about it, it would give the insurance company reason not to pay leaving your family in a mess.

If they insure us they should insure you. It will depend on the company and they will change from one to another.

Gary D.

I don't know what I'm doing wrong but the premium nearly doubled when we mentioned diving. Add climbing to the picture and it's laughable.

Can anyone recomend a carrier?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom