Trident Double Seat Diveyak

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kennyscot

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Any thoughts on the Trident Double Seat Diveyak? Good,bad?? Where is the best place to get one? What to look out for?? What do you like about it or hate about it. Good for surf? Rough h20?

Thanks KS

Don't know much about them except what I read from Manufacturer. However, if I was willing to invest $500.00 in one of these, I would go ahead and buy their newest version, SEVYTEC SERIES

DIVEYAK XK2020 - SVX2020

It has some really cool feathers and is only $250.00 more.

Ive heard mostly good things about them, and I am researching buying one now. There are some older threads with more specific info if you do a search.

i might be willing to sell a touring sea kayak. i think it's a
Seaward Kayaks Legend (i bought it used from a guy who
didn't know). it does look like the Legend, but i can't be sure,
and it's the old model, with the rudder on top.

http://seawardkayaks.com/prodproductsview.aspx?key=4165&idProduct=4165

it is in excellent condition, but i can't sit and paddle without
killing my back (broke my L-1 vertebrae on a motorcycle accident).

it has two separate air compartments (fore and aft) that double as dry storage.
the lids are watertight.

the cockipt is nice. the seat is in pretty good shape.

the rudder is a bit banged up, but it works fine

send me a PM if you might be interested and i'll take some pictures

i can let it go for probably a third of what it's worth

Looks interesting. There are a bunch of SB posts about it that a quick google turned up:

http://www.google.com/search?lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=Trident Double Seat Diveyak

Looks hard to beat for the money, and as a bonus, it doesn't require a lot of storage space. Or a truck with a roof rack. And it may be especially handy for some of those dive spots with long surface swims, in current. A kayak handles current a lot easier than a fully immersed diver does. Plus it serves double duty as a dive float and flag! Looks somewhat questionable as to whether you can truly handle two full size (or plus size) adults, gear, and four tanks, however.

localdivah:
I love the design of the DIVEYAK XK2020, but there isn't a 2-person version. The Trident (also manufactured by Sevylor) 2-person version is only $360 at Diver's Supply making me worry about quality. The sit on top design seems like it would be a challenge to balance..
I think the SVX/XK 2020 is a two person diveyak -
http://www.sevylor.com/diving2.html (at the bottom)
Model - SVX2020
LOA - 12’10”
Beam - 3’10”
Weight - 40 lbs.
Pers. Cap. - 2
Max. Cap. - 600 lbs.
HP Rating - 3 1/2
Max. Two Cycle
Motor Wt. - 35 lbs.​

i have one of these. good points: 1). deflated, you stuff it into a big mesh gear bag, throw it over your shoulder, and stuff it into the trunk of your honda civic, with room left over for your other gear. 2). due to it's width it is REALLY stable in the water. 3). it weighs around 45lbs. 4). there are lots of clips, d-rings places to secure gear. 5). did i say that you can deflate it, roll it up, put it in your trunk? Downers: 1). it's tough for 1 person to carry it in it's inflated state-bulky. 2). i have used it with 2 people only 1 time. we were ab diving so we didn't have a lot of gear.( i WOULD NOT TRY THIS WITH 2 SCUBA DIVERS AND FULL GEAR.). 3). the seats didn't keep you're butt in 1 spot, i kept sliding down on my back. 4).there are no foot rests,blocks,to push into when you are paddeling. i find that it's more comfortable for me to kneel where the seat should be and paddle that way. would i buy it again........................ yes. it does have it's niche. i.e. can't launch the big boat but you can launch this at van dame, russian gulch,the headlands. i hope this info helps, ken

Saw it at DEMA and thought it was really cool and priced very reasonably. I've heard great things about it's performance in lakes and ponds but can't attest to its performance in the surf.

My sit on top ocean kayak tracks great in the surf but it's not as portable as the Diveyak and cost twice as much.

If you want to check out pricing and accessories we have them here:

DIVE YAK

My dive buddy and I are very close to just sucking it up and buying a diveyak. We do realize that we are sacrificing some performance and ease in favor of the convenience and minimal storage space of an inflatable. Also, we both together come in well under 300 lbs and don't plan on paddling far or using this for more than short distance as a dedicated dive craft, so hopefully the Trident 2-person will fit the bill.

Main question is to hear from anyone who has had a good experience diving tandem on the Trident 2-person (see here: https://secure3.nexternal.com/shared...produc ts.asp). Most comments on this model have been from people diving solo on one or having one diver and one non-diver.

- Did you have an issue with stability when you had two people each doing their own thing, or was this manageable (ie. strap everything in on land, get to the site, inflate and dump equipment into the water, suit up in the water, and reverse when exiting)?
- Does this kayak have the capacity for 300 lbs of person plus 4 tanks (2xHP80s, 2xHP100s) and gear? The listed capacity is 600 lbs, but don't know if this is optimistic or under what surface conditions this is possible.
- If the Sevylor XK2020 is far superior to the Trident versions, I guess we'd be willing to purchase 2 1-person diveyaks, though this is only if the 2 person was not suitable for our basic (listed) needs

Thanks!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom