Hand Compressor Tank Filler

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Charlie

New
Reaction score
Years ago a member of my dive club had a manually operated tank compressor. He took this with him to remote locations, where a normal compressor couldn't be taken.
Filling a tank took a while and pressure levels were below that are normally achieved.
Does anyone know if these devices are still available?

It's called a bicycle pump. Should be able to get 60 or 70 psi out of it.

Really - that sounds like a neat device. But considering the horsepower it takes to run a 3000 psi compressor, that would be a long hard job to fill a tank that way.

Tom

This is the same thing as a booster pump. Low volume high pressure output. It would take a looooooooong time to get a useful amount of gas out of it. There are hand operated versions of this but the benefits are questionable when you can get very small gas driven units now.

Brad

To be honest, there are several portable gas or diesel compressors that would be preferable to trying to fill a tank by hand. Can you imagine how long this would take & how hard it would be? I'd rather be diving than pumping! :wink:

These units usually range from 3-5 cfm and aren't that large... about the size of a cooler.

Just my $0.02's worth!

~SubMariner~

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom