NAUI or PADI

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

make sure you get the best instructor you can find

you don't have to stick with an agency once you get your Open Water
certification. you may want to get started (either one is fine), and then
keep your eyes open to see where your diving takes you.

If you fill out your profile a bit so people know (in a general sense) where you are they may be able to recommend good instructors/shops in your area. Just a thought.

(I'll vote for NAUI but I'm NAUI so my vote is completely biased :D)
Ber :lilbunny:

Naui or Padi?

As mentioned above, it doesn't matter when it comes to OW -- unless you find a Naui instructor who is willing to change his course slightly to better fit you, the student. They can stray a bit further from standards while still meeting them, enabling them to focus a bit more on individual needs (in some cases).

When it really matters which one to go with is when you are wanting to become a master diver.

The Naui Master Scuba Diver course teaches all of the academics that one needs to know to become an instructor, whereas the Padi Master Scuba Diver equates to the accumulation of a certain amount of specialty cards. Moreover, if I had to pick sight & rumor unseen and unheard a DM for my loved ones and I had the choice b/w a Naui DM and a Padi DM, I'd go with the former

madmike311x:
noobie here just wonderin which to go with?

Most common answer given will be: the most important thing is the instructor.

While that's true, as a new diver you're not in a position to judge the quality of dive instruction. Further, while one can interview them and ask them how much they adhere to a certain agency's standards, etc., NO ONE can honestly judge an instructor by whom they've not been instructed. Unless people give you refferals (something rarely seen for would-be OW divers), "the most important thing is the instructor" is really not a helpful bit of advice.

PADI material vs. NAUI material? Little to no difference but PADI stuffs more advertising (for themselves) into their texts (something that really bothers me).

My $0.02: Go with whatever shop is cheaper/more convienient to you. Worry about agencies in the future (when you have a better understanding of diving, standards, practices, etc.).

Blackwood:
Most common answer given will be: the most important thing is the instructor.

While that's true, as a new diver you're not in a position to judge the quality of dive instruction. Further, while one can interview them and ask them how much they adhere to a certain agency's standards, etc., NO ONE can honestly judge an instructor by whom they've not been instructed. Unless people give you refferals (something rarely seen for would-be OW divers), "the most important thing is the instructor" is really not a helpful bit of advice.
Ah, but you can meet the instructor and talk to them in advance. I have talked to several that I knew right away would not be a good instructor for me.

Joe

Blackwood:
My $0.02: Go with whatever shop is cheaper/more convienient to you. Worry about agencies in the future (when you have a better understanding of diving, standards, practices, etc.).

What perfectly horrid advice.

thank you all for posting you have been quite helpfull. to awnser mr. pirates question, no im am not looking for speed i want to be the BEST instructor.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom