Bad Dive Master

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

c555

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi, I just got back from a dive boat in Puget sound and it was not a good experience. There were 6 divers w/ 3 diving divemasters. I was w/ my cousin and a divemaster. She was not a good diver and was clueless about diving, it seemed like. Here light was hanging a couple feet down and I saw it drag through like 8 seapens, a kind of soft coral. I finally told here but she didn't understand me and switched to here backup light. We were supposed to follow her, but after 30 min she haldn't found the wall so she looks at us and says to go up. It was completely unnecesary. She just starpted swimming up but way too fast. Me+ my cousin just looked at each other and went up slowly. At our safety stop deapth, she wasn't there so we just leveled off then she landed on top of me. On our final ascent, here light, which was still hanging down got caught on my primary's house. She was going up way to fast and ripped the reg from my mouth and drug me the rest of the way to the surface. It was here birthday so I didn't want to be too critical or reminder about some things. I was wondering if anyone has had an experince like this before w/ a diver or divemaster?

yow

maybe she's new?

she didn't seem new, just bad

I dive Puget Sound all the time. I don't know what dive boat you were on.
I would speak to the boat captain or who ever you booked the trip thru.

A DM should know how to handle themselves in the water. They are a diving professional.
It sounds like the DM you were diving with does not have the skills required to be a DM.

It should not have been a matter of you hurting her feelings.
It should have been a matter of the DM doing her job.
Last time I checked that was to lead the dive AND ensure the comfort and safety of the divers under her charge.

I think she failed on both counts.

My advice SPEAK WITH THE BOAT CAPTAIN. Let the dive operators know that they have a DM employed who does not have the required skills to be DMing.
Next time she could hurt someone or worse.

Talk to the boat owner. They should know about this. You as a paying customer expect a minimun level of ability at least. Sounds that she may of been below those.

You only need 50 dives to take the DM, kind of surprising (PADI).

I say, if you know what you are doing just move on....there are more where she came from.

I think part of the reason we couldn't find the reef is because the captian didn't drop us on it. He told us we were over it, cut the engine, and then we drifted a ways before we finally entered the water. This also had the other two groups do bounce dives to 90 and 110 feet. One woman blacked out on the bottom from a quick descent, but was brought to the surface and is OK. If the captian had held his position, the dive could have been better.

You should make a complaint to the dive operator

c555:
I think part of the reason we couldn't find the reef is because the captian didn't drop us on it. He told us we were over it, cut the engine, and then we drifted a ways before we finally entered the water. This also had the other two groups do bounce dives to 90 and 110 feet. One woman blacked out on the bottom from a quick descent, but was brought to the surface and is OK. If the captian had held his position, the dive could have been better.

Huh? Blacked out from a rapid descent? New one on me...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom