Open water Certification

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

friscospices.com

Registered
Reaction score
Should I do my open water here with the instructor I did the pool training with, or do my open water while on vacation in Aruba? Need some advice on this. What do you guys and gals think?

well... either is ok

the concern with going with a new instructor in Aruba is that you may not get
a good instructor. then again, you may get a better instructor than you are
used to, so it's luck of the draw.

are there any reasons that you don't want to do the check out dives where you live?

with your instructor.

Sweet ride, is that a '72?

friscospices.com:
Should I do my open water here with the instructor I did the pool training with, or do my open water while on vacation in Aruba? Need some advice on this. What do you guys and gals think?

Do your OW before you go. Spend your time in Aruba looking at the pretty fishes, not some ugly instructors face! :D

How much time do you have between now and your trip to Aruba?
How much time do you plan on spending Diving in Aruba?
If you have only two days to dive in Aruba, do you want to spend all your dives doing your OW cert?
In Nebraska, water will be colder and lower visibility than Aruba. Is that OK?
How comfortable were you with your instructor?
Do you want a comparable or better level of service? Do you think you will get that from somewhere in Aruba?
Did anyone give you a reference for a shop in Aruba?
Have you talked to your instructor (in Nebraska) about it and got his/her opinion?
Are you going to dive locally once you are certified?

Learn at home, dive on vacation.

Wouldn't want to get to Aruba - go through the OW dives and find out the instructor there had not paid his yearly dues and you are s*it out of luck. He/she is not a licensed instructor and you never existed to the certification agency.

Do it at home.

good choice.

i did my cold murky check out dives before i went down to beautiful cozumel. the reason was i just wanted to know that i could do it before i went on vacation. didn't want the certification dives hanging over my head while i started my vacation.

12 days in aruba? man, am i jealous or what...

BarryNL:
Do your OW before you go. Spend your time in Aruba looking at the pretty fishes, not some ugly instructors face! :D

My vote too.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom