anyone ever use a scooter? or have one?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

meterman

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
my dive buddy is looking at buying a scooter but if he gets one he wants me to get one aswell . weve seen them from $2000 - $125 he wants to get the cheap seadoo for about $150 so if there not worth a crap were only out 150..i really dont want to spend $150 for crap.
what were looking for is a scooter to get us out off the beach about a mile or more on the surface than drop down do the dive than use the scooter to get us back to shore . if you have a scooter and any info please let me no. thanks

Scooters are real good at getting divers into a heap of trouble. Especially when they up-chuck and die. (and thats when...not if)

meterman:
what were looking for is a scooter to get us out off the beach about a mile or more on the surface than drop down do the dive than use the scooter to get us back to shore.

You're probably looking at the expensive ones then, and its better to do dives like that off a boat anyway.

What happens when the scooters quit? What is your bailout?

JeffG:
Scooters are real good at getting divers into a heap of trouble. Especially when they up-chuck and die. (and thats when...not if)
But man, just before you up-chuck and die you'll think "What a fun ride that was!"

Deuces:
"What a fun ride that was!"
Sometimes not. Some scooter dives could get quite stressful.

also if you're heading offshore a mile with scooters, how do you keep yourselves together? if you're skimming under the surface you can get lost in a hurry. its also not that easy to ride them on the surface and keep your target in site. plus if the winds and waves pick up a bit you can easily lose each other on the surface, too.

The first time I used my scooter, I ran due east for about 10-15 minutes on a beach dive. I surfaced and looked back at the shore. The first thought that went through my head was "I can get in trouble with this, real fast"

I either don't go out further than I can swim the dead scooter back or tow the kayak.

They are a great way to beach dive. I love mine.

Every time I'm out there with my fins trailing I think of what the charterboat captains say "Big baits, Big fish"

I agree, don't take your scooter anywhere you can't drag it back on your own power, or at least drag yourself back.

The cheaper ones are underpowered and not rated for as deep. Get one with enough power to pull two people, there's your backup. I'd suggest renting a few models first.

I hope to have one someday but wouldn't consider it transportation to a dive site, but rather an air consumption saver at a dive site. Great for diving around a wreck or reef, especially if there is current. It would be cool to mount a video camera on one.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom