Backward kick issue...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kidspot

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
So my backward kick is finally becoming semi-reliable... except when I near the last 800psi in my AL80's. Peterguy asked to video me on a dive we did a couple of days ago at the end of the dive (about 600psi). I had been fine all through the dive, using it to keep an eye on the whole group without holding everyone up (they were following me, but everyone was a bit spread out), once I got to the last of my air I felt like I was spinning my wheels. I assume it's due to the positive bouyancy and that my trim is getting thrown off by it. I was still neutral in the water, and had no air in my wing at this point (about 6-8ft depth). Suggestions to get over this "bump" in the road? Anyone else have this problem?

Mahalo, Tim

Hey Tim..........let me show my ignorance...........what in the world is a "back wards" kick? Is that when you are on your back at the surface, working your way back to the boat?

Happy Diving

backwards/back kick is like a reverse frog kick... sort of...

as the name states, it makes you move backward ... slowly

mine is finally becoming reliable after about a year of trying

I'll look at the video, but do you think you might have gotten a little butt-high with the nearly empty tank? I was. I was actually thinking, after that dive, that next time I do tropical diving I might move my camband weights down to the lower camband and put up with being a little feet heavy at the beginning, because it seems like I can compensate that better than being butt-light at the end.

Other than my plate at the moment all my weight is around my waist - are you saying move the weight to a camband around the bottom of the tank?

I agree that it's the butt-light tank that is causing the problem, I just don't know how to compensate for it...

crane your head up more, it forces your butt down.

Tim, when you say "spinning my wheels" do you mean you're doing the backwards kick and not going anywhere?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom