to knife or not to knife

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Many folks think that shears are more useful.

Take both! If you only use them once in your lifetime it's worth taking them.

Gary D.

definetly take both, at the very least you'll have a back-up cutting device

a dive knife doesn't have to be all that big. all you really need it for is to cut
through line or other entanglement

Who said that a knife is not needed, someone who dives in a pool? Sure take a knife and shears since each is better for different purposes if you dive in a lake where ther can be fishing lines or in the ocean for lots of stuff.

Some people like knives some like shears; some like both. I've unsheathed my knife exactly 1 time in 55 dives, to cut a piece of fishing line entangled on a reef. I wouldn't dive without one or the other, it's there if I need; screw what other people think, now I agree you don't need a machette strapped to your leg, but hey whatever floats your boat. Who am I to judge; diving isn't a fashion show.

You'll also find that some new divers get caught up in that "Sea Hunt" mentality where they think a knife is for something it is not (like fighting off the constant barage of rabid sharks).

Everyone's got their thing, personally I like my little flat ended knive and my sheers...same reason as everyone else said.

RICoder:
You'll also find that some new divers get caught up in that "Sea Hunt" mentality where they think a knife is for something it is not (like fighting off the constant barage of rabid sharks).

Very true. I like to use my Glock for close in stuff...

Back
Top Bottom