Instructors ever inflate a balloon at depth

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

stevetim

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
and let it rise to the surface to show students the effects of decreasing pressure on pressurized air? Just wondering because it's one of those things I want to do while diving. For conservationists reading this...yes, we would recover the remains of the doomed balloon.

I dont know if any instructors have done it but I did it I think on my 3rd dive. I still see the remains in my mind. And I used a Biodegradable balloon.. J/K I think that on the first or second OW Checkout dive that Instructors should do this while students are at a depth to see how much air goes into the balloon before release, then look at the aftermath. Or at least have the video show you exactly what happens. Only Problem would be students doing the ahhhh really fast in CESA and running out of air in the first 5 feet. PADI if your listening (which you should be) add it to the video or part of the class.

Namchief:
Only Problem would be students doing the ahhhh really fast in CESA and running out of air in the first 5 feet. PADI if your listening (which you should be) add it to the video or part of the class.

Bubble Junky:
It's in the PADI video.

Wow! That was fast work! :11:

Ido the opposite...I bring down a plastic quart water container and show the effects of squeeze...then unscrew the cap and let water enter and finally rrefill the container at depth with air from my reg and show how venting on the way to the surface works

Yup, did it hundreds of time. Used a reusable big ballon, so it did not blow up - some find the blowing up part a bit scary.

Way back when, I used to take an empty 3-liter plastic soda bottle down to about 100', unscrew the cap, fill it with air, then screw the cap back on and take it back to the surface... we figured it had around 45 psi contained at the surface and was hard as rock.

Walter:
Use a nozzel attached to your LPI hose. I knew a woman who went to the hospital after attempting this cute trick.

Which trick? The balloon or 3 liter bottle? Also what caused the wound and how would the filling method prevent it? Inquirin' minds want to know!!

Bubble Junky:
It's in the PADI video.

Well, a cute animation of it is in the PADI video, but it falls short of a real demonstration.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom