The World's Largest Marine Preserve

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

While I applaud the protection of the unique marine ecosystem, I wonder how this will effect diving in the area. Will it still be allowed, etc..

The AP story says that diving will be allowed, though I can't imagine how one would access the area. A liveaboard would sure be cool.

The AP story says low-impact uses like photography and diving will be allowed and the 8 commercial fishing permits for the area will be phased out.

On another note, the subject of this thread is pretty inaccurate. This was in no way Bush' idea. It represents the hard work of a lot of people over a lot of years going back to when Bush was still the ******************. Sure, he's going to take credit for it now, even though this has been the most aggresively anti-environment administration in history, but that's just politics. The NWHI preserve has been in the works for well over a decade or longer and is really the result of a lot of hard work by people you'll never hear of.

good point Storm, now you'll have to pay for entering a National Monument I would guess.
I wonder if the yearly National Park passes will be good on land and sea?

edited dual post

can't stand it can you Hum?

Back
Top Bottom