Questions about DCS and a new diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tropicaledit

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Im a new diver, during dives its been difficult to control my boyancy, especially my ascents! My computer has told me in my dive profiles that I was ascending to fast. I've tried to slow down but in looking later at my profiles, I went into a red zone. I didn't worry to much about it because I've basically been diving in depths that were around 40' and under (30 or less). My thinking has been not to worry to much at that depth because I really haven't pushed my time or limits, so therefore I wouldn't be likely to get DCS.

Well I just read a recent thread that was of concern. It basically mentioned that if your have experienced pain in the elbow, or go home and sleep the day away, your experiencing possibly Type 1 DCS. So, I've felt the elbow pain recently, it was minor feeling and didn't last for a long time, at the time, I wasn't even sure if it was due to working out, I just casually noticed it.

I've also slept the day away after a dive because I was so tired.

#1. Does it seem like I got DCS or are the "Bends" something that you oblviously
notice?

#2. Say the elbo thing was DCS, does this put me at risk on future dives?

Thanks to all replies
OW & Nitrox (15-20 dives)

Hey, I'm a beginner myself so I'm not sure I can be of much help :) But I'm just curious, how do you monitor your ascent speed, and do you vent your BCD on the way up to keep your speed under control?

You really should contact DAN and ask them direct questions, they would be able to give you a much better understanding and could answer any questions that might concern your health... non emergency #1-919-684-2948 / 1-800-446-2671

tropicaledit:
I have not been venting the BCD ... thanks
Ok...scuba 101.

The gas in your BC at depth is going to expand as you ascend. You MUST dump gas from the BC to maintain control of the ascent.

YOU ARE GOING TO GET HURT if you don't understand this.

SNorman:
Hey, I'm a beginner myself so I'm not sure I can be of much help :) But I'm just curious, how do you monitor your ascent speed, and do you vent your BCD on the way up to keep your speed under control?

This is something that comes with practice.
Once you have buoyancy control you'll see that a mere big breathe and pulling your head up ( assuming you are in good trim ) a bit will SLOWLY start you ascending. Then you need to pay attention to the gas in the BC and vent it appropriately to maintain a smooth SLOW ascent.

This should be covered in basic class damn it.

tropicaledit:
I have not been venting the BCD ... thanks

I know this is going to seem an odd question, but where did you get certified? Overseas or US? And if in the US, what shop? I'm just curious.

What you describe could be DCS though it may be subclinical. DAN is the best resource.

In general agressive ascents can do more to send you home exhausted than almost anything else. It's important that you end dives gently especially by making your final ascent very slowly.

While scuba gear is an amazing adaptive tool diving does stress you body. A slow ascent allows for optimal off gassing. Taking it easy as you get out of the water and there after lets the remaining nitrogen offgass unfettered.

As mentioned you must vent your BC as you ascend. assuming that you are neutral at depth just kick up a few feet and gas expansion should start to grow your displacement and lift you. To limit your speed vent air from your BCD.

Use you instruments to control the rate. With a depth gauge and watch you need to mark time and may choose to ascent in 10 foot increments with at least 20 seconds per stage (30 feet/minute). A computer will have a graphical display and alarms to give you a sense of what you are doing. This should heve been SOP in your OW class.

Pete

Back
Top Bottom