I just want to hear from PADI (V&B) Insurance holders (or ex-padi Insured)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

eclipse785

Reaction score
I know, I know,.. there are a ton of threads out there that discuss insurance. The problem is that there is an overwhelming amount of people that promote the DAN insurance. Now before you flame me, I know that fact alone should tell me that DAN is better, but I've looked at the coverage limits and PADI insurance (through Vicencia & Buckley) and it just looks like PADI has better coverage all around.

So I think it comes down to personal experience. What I'd like is to hear just from the people who either have PADI insurance or have had it in the past and switched to something else. Tell me about your experiences.

Thanks

Well I try to support DAN so I give them what I can along with buying their accident ins. I don't know what good it does them but I give them what I can.

My professional insurance is with V & B but my personal insurance is with DAN. DAN is a non-profit org that gives back to its members. V & B--can you call them 24 hours a day with a diving medical question?

DAN's got my support.

For what it's worth, (I've never had, and hope never to have, the opportunity to use it), but I am a DAN member and have PADI insurance. I compared them side by side, and V&B offered the better benefits/cost, just that simple. I support DAN through my membership, and get the best insurance coverage through PADI. I sleep well at night, your mileage may vary.

Insurance companies can tell you whatever they want in terms of what their policy "covers." What it PAYS FOR on the other hand is an entirely different matter. Here is what I can tell you from personal experience.

About 3 years ago I was unfortunate enough to experience DCS (fault was entirely my own....deep air). I did a Navy 6 on two consecutive days. I didn't pay a penny and never even saw a bill. Everything was taken care of behind the scenes by DAN. Totally covered and totally painless. They even called the hospital for me. All I had to do was show up.

A friend was also unfortunate enough to have a DCS incident that same year. His insurance was V&B. He's still bitching about it. They paid almost nothing and had terrible customer service. In short he ended up personally responsible for some whopping medical bills! His insurance now is DAN.

YMMV

Gary

I have padi insurance because they make me (DM). I have DAN because I know they will cover me if I have a dive accident. I'd stick with DAN if you are just getting insurance for yourself.

Isn't this a little like comparing pomegranates and kumquats?

DAN offers divers secondary accident insurance; V&B offers professional liability insurance.

That's right, I forgot they no longer offer dive accident insurance. (I don't have very close ties to PADI.) Probably don't offer it anymore because it sucked??? :idk:

Gary

I have padi insurance because they make me (DM). I have DAN because I know they will cover me if I have a dive accident. I'd stick with DAN if you are just getting insurance for yourself.

PADI does NOT require you to purchase insurance through V&B. You are welcome to purchase through Willis or any of the other agencies that offer liability insurance.

The shop I work through carries Willis and they are a PADI shop.

You are required to have insurance.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom