What to expect on SSI written OW test

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

EZHOOPS

Contributor
Reaction score
just wondering if what to expect on my written OW SSI test. No, I'm not trying to cheat but I've done well on all the quizzes and book work so far.

I just get a little test anxiety is all and want to be sure I've covered everything.

Everything on the OW test has been covered in the reviews at the end of the chapters. If you got the reviews, you should do well on the test.

50 multiple choice questions......all very much common sense....just make sure you read them veeery carefully, I goofed a couple up b/c I misinterpreted the question.

Good Luck, let us know how you do!

Know how to work the tables. If you can figure out what surface interval you need to plan your second dive, you are in good shape. The questions are not that hard, but they bear close reading. There is no hurry, so take your time and make sure you know what the question is asking.

diver_sam_851027:
50 multiple choice questions......all very much common sense....just make sure you read them veeery carefully, I goofed a couple up b/c I misinterpreted the question.

Good Luck, let us know how you do!

That's no joke. I had to actually dumb myself down a bit for some of the specialty tests. I expected all the technical and safety questions in the books to be on the test and they weren't. OW and AOW are a bit more in depth though.

Nothing too challenging, as people have said just make sure you know how to work the tables (then buy a computer and forget about tables). As has also been said I've gotten caught by a couple questions because I've gotten lulled into false stupidity and didn't read them carefully. Really it's nothing to have an anxiety attack over, I hope your instructor isn't making out like it is.

Some of the questions are deliberately worded to be misleading/tricky. I got 3 of these wrong. My instructor reviewed my incorrect answers with me, and agreed that I knew the material, just misread the questions.

That's a good point too. This test is for you, not the instructor, not SSI. Make sure you fully understand any questions you do get wrong. It's all information you need.

Some of the questions are deliberately worded to be misleading/tricky.
This really annoys me about SSI (I'm sure other agencies are similar), I realize that MC tests are an easy and effective way to test recollection of information but if they are just going to ask questions awkwardly its not really testing your conceptual understanding of the material. I also love the fill in the blank questions at the end, my favorite was on the light/low vis, one of the questions was: "The most important thing to remember is never shine your light in your buddy's ________". Hmmmm...I wonder what could go in there. Mainly though I'm just a perfectionist idiot and it annoys me to get questions wrong, even when its my own stupid fault. It works though fine since the academic portion is really just support for the practical elements.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom