Why not more artificial reefs?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jake

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm curious: why aren't there more artificial reefs being created? The reason I ask about that is primarily because I am completely unaware of the process in getting one started.

For example, I live in southern California. I have lots of good diving here, but there are areas all over the place that would be much more hospitable to divers than the current sites are, but which lack reefs or other features that would bring life to the area.

Can someone just go to-- say, the Huntington Beach city council--and propose the creation of a reef? I've seen reefs made from old cars, tractors, large tunnels/pipes, boats, etc. After a few years, life comes to the area, and HB has a place to dive.

I imagine governments aren't keen to just have trash strewn about (e.g. cars), and navigation is an issue. Nevertheless, I'm wondering what's stopping this from happening? If we can dump the relatively gigantic Yukon off San Diego, why can't we create multiple smaller reefs over larger areas?

Finally, is there anyone in SoCal that is working on something like this? I'd love to get involved.

Thanks.

-jake

Bill Strong at Hollywoodivers (great guy, great shop) let me know about this group, which he's trying to help do exactly what you asked about.

Southern California Sunken Treasures

My understanding is that there are "retired" ships the fed gov't has offered, but that there's still money needed to prepare the ships for sinking. That involves cleaning them of chemicals and such that would make sinking them a danger to the environment as well as eliminating as many exposed cables and other things hazardous to divers as possible.

Of course, there are also several levels of gov't involved which means plenty of fact finding, paperwork, time and who knows what else.

I only know so much, but it sure seems like some more artificial reefs would be great.

I've always wanted to organize one too. It's a lot of work. On top of the money, planning, and any permits you may need; there's the biological factor. Artificial reefs aren't just dropped in random places, certain conditions need to be met. Lot's of studying goes into it.

Why not tons of artificial reefs? (Just assuming you're meaning sinking ships to create them)..

One word, Greenpeace.

Not saying they're bad, they just want to protect nature, but you can't disagree with the position that they certainly slow the process down.

D.

Why use ships at all ?

I'm all for creating artificial reefs/habitats, but given any associated hazards with sinking ships, cars, pollution etc etc, it seems to me more sensible to use something else. All that steel and aluminium could be recycled and re-used.

Is it that as its a ship it is more attractive to divers than products already available ?

Are the diving fraternity being selfish in wanting something exciting to look at and dive on with the reef creation just an added bonus to that ?

As the population of whatever structure takes time to happen so is not so interesting, are ships just a quick fix for veiwing/diving pleasure and revenue for the local area without the need for waiting for life to get established?

My fiencee used to work for a company making honeycombed prefabricated concrete structures just for this purpose in Indonesia, so I know the products exist.

Pyro,
In the Uk wrecks attract sea life. HMS Scylla is an artificial reef - don't forget wrecks are bio-degradable in that they rust - it just takes longer :)

Oh I'm not knocking the creation of them, or of using ships, just opening up things a bit as most people seem to think sinking ships is the only answer, and as the Oriskany sinking showed - aftereards there were lots of concerns about that and the reasoning as to why it was done, for creating a habitat or for 'easy' disposal or for generating revenue, diving etc.

With a bit of luck I might get to see something of the wrecks on the bottom of Portland Harbour next weekend :D

So the Countess eh? :) Watch out for the silt ! And enjoy yourself! I was in Brighton yesterday water temp was 16C so it should be nice and toasty in Portland!

Actually I will probably be too busy to see much of anything this time round as it is my OW cert' weekend, with the open water dives Monday and Tuesday.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom