diving the day before flying

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

drpbd

Reaction score
In my training, we were told not to dive 24 hours before air travel.
However, recent dive packages seem to always include dives the morning of the day before departure. Is this o.k. ?

How much time do others generally leave between time of last dive and time of air travel ?

Thanks for your responses !
-drpbd

Especially after a lot of days of repetitive dives....

Its just asking for it.

Configure your vacation so your last day is spent sight-seeing - at MSL.

we dive.......sometimes we don't.
the AM 2 tank dive leaves at 9 and is back by 1 at the latest. I usually book a flight thats around 3 or 4 . That would be 26 or 27 hrs, no problem.

BTW our computers usually clear us to fly before 24 hrs .

I wouldn't fly any sooner than 24 hrs. weather the computer said okay or not!!

On vacation last month, I had to catch a small plane and "island hop", so I made sure I didn't dive over 24 hours prior to take off.

It's serious business that you shouldn't consider taking a chance with.

Thanks so much for confirming what I was taught.

24 hours it is !
-drpbd

There was a post from a while back on someone who got bent pretty bad after his Uwatec gave him six hours before flying after a few days of repititive diving.

To me doubly problematic is getting bent in a plane as not many have chambers to help you out. At most you could get oxygen.

There has been discussion as to how prepared our computers can be for multiday repetitive dives.

DAN and the Duke Chamber over here are currently doing some extensive research on flying after diving to get some better info for us.

I would give a good solid 24 before flying myself also, you can't be too conservative.

Tommy

Personally, I try to get at least 24 hours before flying. But if I know that I won't be making it, I tend to dive Nitrox a day before flying.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom