PADI Membership

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JodiBB

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
In the last 3 days, I've received 2 applications to activate my PADI membership. I have my OW and AOW through PADI, which is the reason (I"m guessing) for the different applications.

What does the PADI membership entail? Is it worth getting? Or is it just another "Put Another Dollar In" scheme for money? I already have DAN insurance (the Premium), so is this worth the money (granted, it's only $29!) to register for...

I've never heard of this society membership before, so I didn't want to just jump in without further investigation.

Thanks in advance!

It's basically a subscription to Sport Diver magazine. They also offer discounts for a bunch of operators and stuff which would be worthwhile if you can use any of them.

I will not be renewing my membership this month. It's a waste of money, imo. The magazine is just a big advertising rag with some great pictures. The member discounts I found to be a joke. I went to use one in Key Largo and found out that the "discount" was what the shop was already selling as a package discount. No membership needed.

I'm thinking about spending my money on Undercurrents instead. Lots of reviews of dive operators and no advertising. I haven't decided yet, though.

JodiBB:
In the last 3 days, I've received 2 applications to activate my PADI membership. I have my OW and AOW through PADI, which is the reason (I"m guessing) for the different applications.
I've never heard of this society membership before, so I didn't want to just jump in without further investigation.
Are these applications for diver insurance, or does it just state PADI membership? Membership fees with PADI are only applicable to diving professionals like DMs, Assistant Instructors and Instructors and take the form of an annual fee/renewal. To my knowledge there are definitely no membership fees for OW or AOW students, unless something significant has recently changed that I am not aware of.

Have you received your C-cards for the certs you completed? :huh:

PADI membership is not the same as DAN. DAN provides you insurance. PADI membership gives you a monthly magazine. Although PADI does sell insurance also.

personally I don't think the magazine is worth their membership/subscription price. In my opinion it's just another Put Another Dollar In scheme. It might have some decent articles in it from time to time, but they use it to 'promote' themselves mostly, which is to be expected since it is 'their' magazine.

Besides a few folks who work at the LDS, I don't know anyone who is actually a member. That and the LDS gives them away for free.

Before you join, see if your LDS or your local bookstore has copies of it that you can review.

For the money though, I think you'd enjoy Dive Training Magazine much better. Of course LDS's give those away for free also.

I purchased a PADI membership because there was a $100 rebate on ScubaPro gears (BC, regulator, octo, and computer combo). I was going to buy the ScubraPro combo anyway, so I ended up saving $71. Since I also bought the same combo (except for a LadyHawk instead of KnightHawk) for my fiancee, the total saving was $142. Would I have purchased the PADI membership if it wasn't for the rebate? Probably Not. :D

BTW - their "savings" on vacation packages didn't seem that good. I bet if you do an internet search, you will find much better deals.

ReefMongoose:
Are these applications for diver insurance, or does it just state PADI membership? Membership fees with PADI are only applicable to diving professionals like DMs, Assistant Instructors and Instructors and take the form of an annual fee/renewal. To my knowledge there are definitely no membership fees for OW or AOW students, unless something significant has recently changed that I am not aware of.

Have you received your C-cards for the certs you completed? :huh:
Yes, I have received all my c-catds that I've completed, which is just OW and AOW to date.

This is an application for the PADI Diving Society, which includes:

12-month membership
Annual magazine subscription
2 water-resistant sports bags
Equipment savings & incentives
Car rental/hotel discounts
Dive protection insurance discounts (not the insurance itself)
Free gifts when signing up for PADI specialties
And member-only access to PADI events

Is this what yo're thinking of???

The sport bag isn't worth the trouble of going to get it out of the mailbox when it FINALLY gets there

I joined the PADI society mostly because it gave me a discount on the insurance, which I was already planning to buy. After the discount, it looked like I got the magazine subscription for about $5, which was worth it for the pretty pictures. I doubt I'll renew, however. The insurance is good, however. (An insurance agent friend compared Padi's and DANs and decided the offer from Padi (acutally Vicencia & Buckley) offered more coverage for a modest amount more. She recommended it, so I got that one. If not for the insurance, I would have just bought DAN's insurance (as opposed to the basic membership I bought) and passed on the Padi society thing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom