Stretching Latex Seals

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Virgil

Contributor
Reaction score
Just bought a new DUI drysuit and the latex neck seal is too tight. I'm always nervous about trimming in case it all goes horribly wrong and a friend said neck seals can be stretched to fit by putting them in hot water and then stretching them over a15 litre cylinder.

Has anyone had success with this method? if so are there any tricks to success?

Latex seals need to be trimmed to get a proper fit. You can't permanently stretch them to any significant degree like neoprene seals. A neck seal that's too tight can be dangerous. If you're not comfortable trimming it yourself the LDS should be able to do it. After watching the LDS trim my neck seal the first time, I'd do it myself going forward. Just take a large "Big Gulp" cup and stuff it in the seal, then trim along the correct ring with a razor blade. Much easier than trying to get a clean cut with scissors.

I always trim mine to fit and have had no problems. No hot water soakings, no stretching it over different objects.
I just use a pair of scissors myself. It's not rocket science.

Cut it, don it, dive it!

Don't trim latex seals unless you really have to.

They DO slacken over time and a seal that was trimmed when new will eventually loosen and leak.

I have seen a great many wet divers whose seals are now too loose because they trimmed them too aggresively when new.

Use a solid object slightly larger than you neck or wrist to stretch the seal very slightly over night. No hot water or anything else fancy is required.

If that doesn't work then a very slight trimming and repeat the overnight stretch.

However, do not tolerate an overtight neck seal. A neck seal that is too tight can press on your carotid sinus and cause problems.

I've never been able to stretch them. I just trim them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom