Tide Charts

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If I could only help people on the forum half as much as they have helped me . . .

Thank you. I do abalone diving off Albion CA in abalone season. It's nice to find a site to see the tides.

My favorite site is http://tbone.biol.sc.edu/tide/sitesel.html . I believe is running the X-tide program that Sbar mentioned above, but as a nicely formatted web application.

One of the options is a monthly table. Has lot of US stations.

NOAA, of course, is the primary source for most tide info in the US. Their predictions for 3000 stations is here.

thanks for that.

I am still confused by certain elements of tide strength. Bottom topography matters also, right? Alex and I were arguing yesterday about current strength here. Now, we are in a full moon and sometimes the current is smoking and sometimes it is not. Now, I understand slack current time, but what other factors are there?

catherine96821:
thanks for that.

I am still confused by certain elements of tide strength. Bottom topography matters also, right? Alex and I were arguing yesterday about current strength here. Now, we are in a full moon and sometimes the current is smoking and sometimes it is not. Now, I understand slack current time, but what other factors are there?
Be careful of terminology. In tables like these, TIDE means the up and down movement of water. Horizontal flow is called CURRENT. There are only a few stations for which there are current predictions. In most cases, you have to rely upon local knowledge, which is usually expressed in a rule of thumb like "slack water is xx hours after high tide, and xx hours after low tide".

Lots of currents around Hawaiian shores are driven by wind, not tides. Tidal currents are most important in connections between two bodies of water ---- such as narrow entrance to a large bay (river mouths, Golden Gate entrance to SF bay,etc); or a narrow strait between two bodies of water (Cape Cod Canal, Woods Hole, etc.).

oh okay...

so currents are influenced by tides. (especially at full and new moons?)
He says that the current is always strong at the Corsair on a full moon and I said not always. He started yelling about gravitational pull and insisting that was the only factor and I said nope and then he just kept yelling louder and louder.

We have a lot of fun talking about this stuff but neither one of us really knows what we are talking about. We definetly discovered the Molakai Express together! That area behind Portlock gets some crazy stuff happening. I have been trying so hard to figure out a pattern to when the current runs Diamond head (west) and when it runs Makapu'u (east) but cannot really ever do much except jump in and see, and then consult the tide chart for the likely time it will switch.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom